'Wait, you don't drink?': Muslim students share opinions on Unofficial

By Aisha Motan

College is known for its parties and drinking culture. Especially at this University, the drinking culture is prevalent, to say the least. However, people often forget that in the midst of this environment, there are people who abstain from alcohol.

Many Muslim students, who as a part of their religion don’t drink, are accepting of the tradition, but they can still feel overwhelmed by the extent of the chaos.

Reema Ghabra, sophomore in LAS, recently had her first experience with the celebration.

“Unofficial is just a crazy day. I don’t drink so I don’t participate in it, but people are very crazy,” she said.

She was surprised the first time she went to class her freshman year and saw people who were drunk.

“On the street you see everyone who’s drunk and they’re already wasted by 11 o’clock,” Ghabra said.

Despite the fact that she doesn’t participate in the holiday, she’s accepting of other people’s decision to partake in it.

“I don’t really have an opinion; if they want to drink and stuff, that’s fine,” she said.

Junaid Sandozi, senior in LAS, understands the tradition, but wishes the weekend wasn’t as crazy as it is.

“I think it’s an interesting tradition because it brings a lot of attention to our campus, but I don’t know if it’s always positive attention, because you have a lot of people who go out and injure themselves during the weekend and hurt themselves, and it’s all stuff that probably wouldn’t usually happen,” Sandozi said. “But I can’t be a bitter old man, like, ‘Shut it down!’ or whatever.”

He said he wishes the weekend was a little safer for everyone and more tamed.

He added that while Unofficial brings attention to the University, he wishes the attention was for a better reason.

“I wish we were known for something a little safer and better for people,”Sandozi said.

In his four years here, the craziest thing Sandozi has seen was someone running into oncoming traffic.

“I’ve seen someone get hit by a car once,” he said. “It was kind of scary at first, but once he was OK everybody started cheering. It was pretty funny. “

Although Marya Jan, senior in LAS, was prepared for the tradition coming to the University, she still feels it could be calmer.

“I just feel like it could be less obnoxious, because it does affect people who don’t drink or don’t necessarily go as hard,” Jan said.

For some students, Unofficial is about going out and having a good time, but for others who don’t participate, it’s chaotic.