Activities around campus when visiting your student

Daily Illini File Photo

Illinois football will host seven home games in the fall

By Michael Gasick, Assistant sports editor

Parents of children who attend the University of Illinois have a variety of activities to do when they visit.

In the fall, students can take their parents to see a football game at Memorial Stadium. The Saturday tradition of students heading to the stadium to cheer on their Illini is an activity many students participate in.

After the game, families can grab lunch at one of the many restaurants or bars open on or off campus. Students can lead their parents to campus bars on Green Street, featuring Murphy’s Pub, Brother’s Bar and Grill or Legends. Other bars on campus include Kam’s, and Red Lion.

Neil Street also offers multiple restaurants for families to dine. Restaurants such as Meatheads, The Ribeye, and Atlanta Bread are all great locations to sit down and eat.

After lunch or dinner, families can go to Krannert Center for the Performing Arts. There, people can take in a concert or grab a coffee in the lounge area. Krannert Center showcases students’ musical talents and abilities, as well as local bands and symphony orchestras.

If students are in the musical spirit, they can also take their parents to see a band at the Canopy Club in Urbana. The Canopy Club has taken in many popular bands and singers over the years and is conveniently located in the heart of campus.

The arts scene in Champaign-Urbana is also highlighted by The Virginia Theatre. The theatre presents multiple movies on its large screen and is home to the popular Ebertfest festival in the spring. It is located in the center of downtown Champaign.

Some students may also want to take their parents on a walk through campus. The Main Quad is a great place for students to tour with their parents, showing them where their classes are that semester. The Quad’s scenic view includes the domed Foellinger Auditorium, the Illini Union, and the Bell Tower on the South Quad.

The Quad is easily walkable, and there are a variety of restaurants available in the student union on the north end of the Quad. If families want to learn more about the University on their walks, they should stop by Altgeld Tower. The building has many plaques and information inside providing historical information about Illinois, including important dates and figures to attend the University. The tower is located to the west of the Illini Union.

Students can continue their walk outside of campus by visiting the many parks and forest preserves in the community. Meadowbrook Park is a great place for families to take walks or have picnics. The park includes an extensive path that allows for joggers and bikers as well.

If students want to stay closer to campus to have a picnic or take a walk, the University of Illinois Arboretum is a convenient place to do so. Located off of Lincoln Avenue, the Arboretum is home to cross-country meets in the fall and offers walkable paths and gardens for the public to enjoy.

There is no shortage of family-friendly activities for parents to do when they visit their children on campus. After a few weeks on campus, each student will have his or her favorite places to show their family beyond the more common attractions.

Michael is a sophomore in Media.