The benefits and drawbacks of long-distance relationships

By Harrison Lindholm, Supplements writer

Long-distance relationships are known to be difficult. Like all relationships, long-distance relationships demand work. The more work you put into your relationship the more you can get out of it. There are many difficulties in any relationship, but long-distance relationships are unique.

When you think of a long-distance dating relationship, you may only think of the negatives. There are a lot of downsides to focusing on someone who is not around you. Every time you think about them you are reminded of the unfortunate distance between you. A longing is always present in your heart and mind.

However, a long time away from your paramour makes your moments together all the more sweet. When you make the trek, whether it be by plane, train or automobile, you get the satisfaction of finally seeing your significant other.

As in any relationship, communication is key. Nowadays, maintaining a long-distance relationship is easier than ever before thanks to advances in technology. Society is now beyond the age of letters and is into the age of instant messaging and video chat. Even if you can’t spend time in person, you can still talk on the phone or video chat. There is so much that communicating on the phone brings to your relationship. When the mundane activities of your daily life become repetitive, it can be exciting to finally talk to your significant other at the end of the day.

Valentine’s Day has always been a day for couples, a day to take your significant other out and to show him or her how much you really care about them. Although it’s still impossible to take your other out when you are far away, you can still show them you care.

To show your great affection for your loved one, it is essential for you to do something thoughtful. Some ideas include sending flowers or a letter. I personally believe creating a care package for them is the most exciting thing they could receive from you. Show how well you know them by making a package full of trinkets and other things that remind you of them. Surely, they will feel the love from you when they open up a package and see all the wonderful things you have put together for them.

Long-distance relationships are hard, but great things are worth fighting for, no matter how bumpy the road may be. They aren’t as hard as people make them out to be, especially when the one you’re with is worth it. There is a rock song by Stephen Stills that was released in 1970 titled “Love the One You’re With.” The hook of the tune goes, “If you can’t be with the one you love, love the one you’re with.” The ethos of this song is to give up on the one who is away, since “there’s a girl right next to you, just waiting, for something to do.” I wholeheartedly disagree with the song. I say wait for the one you love, for they are well worth the wait.

Harrison is a sophomore in ACES.