The best (secret) study spots on campus

Sabrina Yan

Brewlab offers specialty coffees, which are coffees that have a distinct taste depending on where the coffee beans comes from. Brewlab, located at 630 S. Fifth St., is open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. during the week and 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on the weekend.

By Brooke Eberle, Special Sections Editor

With the constant realization that your dorm room is a shared space, you’re probably dying to find your go-to place to study for a couple of hours. But how can you find a place to study when all of the popular spots are taken? The answer is to look for the spots on campus that people are least likely to visit.

Here are a few local spots that will allow you to have a productive study session.

The Main Library

With the Undergraduate Library packed nearly every day, a lot of people forget that the Main Library next door to it is also available and usually more vacant. The Main Library is located in between the Main Quad and the South Quad, so this is a great place to stop by after class. If you’re looking for a place to disappear for a few hours, this is the place to go, as there are plenty of spots to find a desk and bury your nose in your textbook.

The Music Library

Across the street from the Busey-Evans dorms, the Music Library is not a widely known spot for students to get some work done. It is usually pretty empty and a great place to visit if you live in the Urbana area. With Espresso Royale only a block away, you can always grab a quick coffee before heading south to get work done. You’ll be wide awake and ready to knock your midterm out of the park.

Funk (ACES) Library

This is another spot for anyone who needs to study near the PAR, FAR, LAR or Allen Hall. This library is usually very quiet and has five floors. Each of the study desks has a working set of outlets, so feel free to bring chargers for your laptop and phone to further your stay. If you need to pull a late-nighter, the library is open until 3 a.m.

Your local coffee spot

If you’re feeling tired and looking for a caffeine fix, head to a coffee shop. You can go to the more widely known shops like Starbucks or Espresso Royale, or you can head to some less-known coffee shops like BrewLab, Caffe Bene or Etc. Coffeehouse. These spots will give you the chill vibe you need to prepare for your next midterm. Plus, you can get some caffeine whenever you feel like those key terms are putting you to sleep.

The Illini Union

Though this one is widely known, it is a study spot that never fails. Located at the north end of the Main Quad, this building is the perfect place to stop in between classes. At the Illini Union, there are several places to get work done, including the Courtyard Café, the Pine Lounge, the Colonial Room and the basement. If you’re feeling a little hungry, the Illini Union has plenty of options to grab a quick snack. This may not be a spot to park for several hours, but it surely comes in handy when you need to finish the homework due for your next class.

Brooke is a junior in Media.