Best off-campus study spots

Exterior+view+of+Champaign+Public+Library+

Exterior view of Champaign Public Library

By Adam Zhang, Photo Editor

Before you know it, your first midterm is going to come around and you will find yourself walking up and down aisles at the library trying to find an open table. If you are like me and can’t focus on studying in overcrowded environments, try some off-campus spots that are geared to boost your productivity! All of these spots are accessible by bus, but it certainly doesn’t hurt if you or a friend has a car to lessen the commute!

Cafe Kopi:

The entire cafe is designed for people to get work done in it. The inside is divided in half, where you can order food and caffeine in one side and do work in the other. It has an entire wall of tea selections to choose from. I have been working down the list ever since I first visited and still have new teas to try! Every table has a cute vintage lantern as light and power outlets underneath. The environment is warmly lit and it has various tapestries hanging on its walls. It is the ultimate cozy vibe to get some good studying done. It’s definitely my personal favorite!

Location: 109 N. Walnut St., Champaign, IL 61820

Flying Machine Avionics:

The little brother of the Flying Machine Coffee in Urbana that closed this spring, this location lacks nothing from its sibling. Its coffee is rich and delicious; so much so that I have always had a dessert to go with it. They make a mean poached egg salad, so definitely try that out on your first visit. They have a work area with tables and outlets on the side, perfect for studying with a couple of friends.

Location: 202 S. First St., Champaign, IL 61820

Esquire Lounge:

A large, laid-back pub with late night food and Wifi — perfect for a late-night study session. Esquire has people constantly coming in with people for food and drinks, so it’s definitely not the quietest place to study. However, if you work well with ambient noise in the background, it will really help you tune out thoughts and concentrate. Plus, it has several pool tables inside so you have a method of releasing all that stress!

Location: 106 N. Walnut St., Champaign, IL 61820

Champaign Public Library:

This library is absolutely beautiful; it has one of the most stunning architectural styles in Champaign. At this library, you are guaranteed to find a table, even during exam season. Along every wall and corner, there are tables with outlets and couches. The inside even features a quiet study room for those who prefer absolute silence. It also has a community bookstore right at the front, so you can get some used books for really cheap!

Location: 200 W. Green St., Champaign, IL 61820

Adam is a senior in Engineering.