Best ways to meet people within your first two weeks

Students coming out to enjoy Quad Day on Sunday, Aug. 21, 2016.

By Marissa Plescia, Assistant Features Editor

Coming to a big school like the University poses its challenges. Being surrounded by so many strangers can be threatening. But those first two weeks of school are the easiest time to meet people. The best way to think about this is: everyone is in the exact same position that you are in. Everyone is surrounded by strangers, and everyone wants to make new friends. Therefore, there is nothing to be nervous about when it comes to meeting new people, and there is no reason to be afraid of approaching strangers. It’ll be worth it in the end. Here are a few tips to help you do that:

Keep your door open

Some of the first people you’ll meet are in your dorm, and they’re also the easiest people to hang out with because they live in such close proximity. By keeping your door open, it shows you are welcoming and wanting to socialize. Oftentimes, people are walking around the dorms throughout the day and wanting to meet people within those first couple of weeks. Keeping that door open gives them the chance to meet you.

Take advantage of orientation and Welcome Week activities

Many dorms will host an orientation that first day at school. Sure, ice-breaker games have gotten old throughout the years, but it’s a great way to socialize with people in your dorm right away. Furthermore, the University hosts several activities all over campus during welcome week. Lots of new students go, and it’s a great way to find new people. Also, they often give out free food at these events.

Quad Day

Quad Day is packed with people and offers a variety of clubs and organizations to join. The best way to meet new people is to get involved. The school offers over 1,600 organizations, so there is bound to be at least one good fit for you. Find the clubs that interest you, and they will eventually provide you with a niche of people with similar interests.

Learn to people-flirt

Other people are trying to make friends too, so don’t be afraid to go up to strangers and start conversations. Find common interests and ways to bond. You’re all new to the campus, so feel free to go exploring and finding cool places on campus together. Also, oftentimes, people have friends here from high school, and befriending one person can open the doors to meeting their other friends too.

Marissa is a junior in Media.