Finding food diversity in dorms

Ryan Chow

Oodles is a made-to-order pasta station located at the Busey-Evans Residence Hall, available on Fridays from 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m.

By Zack Fishman, Staff Writer

In the dorms, dining halls provide a variety of well-made food for students. But after attending the same one or two halls for a few weeks, meals inevitably begin feeling repetitive. Thankfully, University Dining also hosts Specialty Restaurants, weekly meals that provide a way to spend classic meal credits while also experiencing food not found elsewhere in the dining system.

To the student looking to try new foods or experience different atmospheres, Specialty Restaurants are an excellent way to insert variety back into mealtime. More information can be found on the University Housing website.

Field of Greens, LAR | 11 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Monday to Friday, 4:45 p.m.-6:30 p.m. Tuesday to Friday

As its name suggests, Field of Greens regularly serves entire menus that vegetarians can enjoy without worry. The food selection, although somewhat limited, still offers plenty of fruits and vegetables along with nut and smoothie bars.

Paired with a relatively quiet atmosphere, Field of Greens is a great stop for healthy and relaxed eating. Egg and dairy options for ovo- and lacto-vegetarians are also provided.

Dish to try: Blubana smoothie

La Cocina, Blue 41 | 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Mondays

There’s a good reason to visit the second floor of the Union: It is filled with Latin American-inspired food. Stations are set up for build-your-own tacos and nachos, served alongside authentic dishes like Pork Strip Al Pastor. La Cocina is the most compelling reason to check out the newest dining hall on campus.

Dish to try: Grilled fish with cilantro sauce

Soul Ingredient, FAR | 4:45 p.m.-7:30 p.m. Thursdays

Southern-style food is on full display at FAR’s Soul Ingredient. Boasting a live DJ backdrop, Soul Ingredient nails its theme with smoked entrees, chili, corn on the cob and many other choices. It is a good destination for students looking for richer flavors in their meals.

Similar food can be found at the Neo-Soul Ingredient station at Ikenberry Dining Center.

Dish to try: Halal Rotisserie-Style Chicken

Far Out Pizza , FAR | 4:45 p.m.-7:30 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays

Twice a week, FAR creates an Italian restaurant vibe, complete with dimmed lights and fresh breadsticks. Students are seated at individual tables and can order customized pizzas. Serving a variety of pasta sauces and special desserts, Far Out Pizza provides an excellent dinner atmosphere that feels more organized and formal than the everyday dining halls.

Dish to try: Chocolate chip cookie pizza

Oodles, Busey-Evans | 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Fridays

A dedicated chef serves personalized stir-fry pasta dishes at Busey-Evans. The resulting meal is the single best serving of pasta in University Dining. After a wait in the perpetually long line, students can choose from many ingredient options like sauces and added vegetables, along with additional choices like pad thai and udon noodles.

A very popular chocolate layer cake accompanies the elaborate pasta creations.

Dish to try: Pasta with pesto sauce, mushroom, chicken, tomatoes, spinach and cheese

Zack is a junior in Engineering