Homecoming fashion: orange, blue and beyond

By Jessica Xu, Contributing Writer

As one of the most beloved and memorable traditions at the University, Homecoming has always been a great time for reuniting alumni and making new connections between students since its start in 1910. During this wonderful week, old friends get to relive Illinois experiences while new members get to explore life at the University. Before diving into the huge variety of festivities, take a minute to think about what you could wear to express yourself and your spirit.

The simple life

If you are a person who prefers to go simple or does not want to spend too much time on deciding what to wear, here are some tips for some easy Homecoming outfits. Throw on whatever orange and blue Illinois jerseys, sweatshirts or hoodies you have at hand or buy a simple Illinois T-shirt at the bookstore, and you are ready to go.

If you want to add more color to your outfit, put on an orange hat or wear orange scrunchies in your hair; cute accessories are always a plus. But don’t forget, it’s important to wear clothes that are as comfortable as possible so you can stay active all day long. While high heels and gowns do look fancy, a pair of sneakers with stretchy jeans might be a better choice for this occasion.

Get crafty

If you want to contribute more to the bright orange crowd throughout Homecoming Week, start with DIYs. Customize hats to make them your own, decorate your bag to show your Illini pride, or put on a Block I face sticker to truly immerse yourself in the spirit of Homecoming.

Bring your big foam finger and pom poms if you are planning to join the parade or watch the big football game. Also, don’t forget to decorate your cars and bikes with flags or orange and blue paints — it is a good way to get ready for tailgating as well as to showcase your spirit on your way to class. Always better to have more orange and blue.

Ultimate school spirit fanatic

It is Homecoming Week, so it’s time to get crazy. Show your love for the University in every single detail: It could be as simple as a pair of orange socks, an orange and blue phone case or a set of orange earrings. These little details are sure to amp up your look!

On the other end of the spectrum, you can get as creative as orange hair dye, orange nail polish or orange hue makeup. Draw I-L-L and I-N-I using paints on T-shirts and wear them with your friends; you could even compete with friends to see who’s got the most school spirit and reps the most orange and blue. Be as creative as possible to impress other students and enjoy the week.

Jessica is a freshman in DGS.