The weekend goes on without dad

By Christine Sheriff, Contributing Writer

By Christine Sheriff

Contributing Writer

The leaves are changing, and soon, dads from all over will be visiting campus to enjoy a weekend of fun with their kids. Dads Weekend is a way to spend quality time with your old man and show him how great our University is. Parents weekends, like Moms Weekend in the spring, are traditions many enjoy participating in during their four years at the University. However, for some, parents weekends can be a time of anxiety and stress when all of their friends have parents visiting, and they do not. It’s okay if you don’t have your father visit that first weekend in November. In fact, plenty of students are not able to have their father figure visit due to a variety of reasons.

If you find yourself in this predicament, invite some friends to campus for the weekend and give them the grand tour. Because the University has many interactive events planned already, this is a great way for your friends from another college to get an exciting take on our campus. You can watch in awe at the mobs of middle-aged men reliving their glory days at the bars without feeling the embarrassment of it being your own father. If you aren’t fond hosting others, take the weekend for yourself, and go visit home or a friend that lives elsewhere. It can be hard to plan visits, especially at this time of year. You can use the time others block out for Dads Weekend to have time for yourself.

This can also be a good time for you to bond with other family members.  You can turn Dads Weekend into a family weekend and get everyone you love involved. There are so many family-friendly events people of all ages can enjoy, like good old Saturday football or waking up on a Sunday morning to participate in the 5k. If everyone ends up being busy or the distance is too far, try to tag along with a friend for the weekend. This is a great way to bond with your friend’s family and show them how good of an influence you are on their sweet child (even if that is the furthest thing from the truth). Dad jokes also seem to be better when it’s not your actual dad nailing the punch line, so enjoy those laughs and the second-hand embarrassment that comes with in.

Even if your father is not visiting, try not to feel down. Instead, make this weekend your own by tailoring it to suit your needs. There are plenty of ways to get involved and embrace others during this annual fall affair.

Christine is a junior in LAS.