Tune your New Year’s resolutions to college life

A+child+uses+a+party+popper+at+midnight+on+New+Year%E2%80%99s+Day+2019.+As+a+college+student%2C+there+are+many+options+for+a+New+Year%E2%80%99s+resolution+to+make+the+most+of+your+college+experience.+

Brigida Dockus

A child uses a party popper at midnight on New Year’s Day 2019. As a college student, there are many options for a New Year’s resolution to make the most of your college experience.

By Cassie Reichert, Staff Writer

The new year is fast-approaching, and it’s time to reflect on the past year and make some changes. You’ve likely made resolutions in the past that you rarely follow through on, but college is a great time to commit to new habits that will help you out in the real world. Ring in the new decade by adopting these simple, yet important resolutions.

Actually pay attention in class

We all find ourselves sitting in a lecture, doing homework for other classes or checking our phones. Then along come exams, and you wish you would’ve actually taken notes or listened to what your professor was saying. It’s time for you to finally be prepared for midterms without having to cram the night before.

Stop relying on Chegg

We’ve all been there. It’s 9 p.m. and you’re about to go out, but you just remembered you have homework due at midnight. You breeze through it, using the answers you find on Chegg instead of actually learning the material. Once again, you have no idea what’s going on in class and you wish you would have just done the assignment on your own. Save yourself the $15 a month, and cancel your subscription. It will help you in the long run. 

Start studying more than two days before your exam

It can be really hard to make yourself stop watching Netflix and start studying instead, especially if your exam isn’t for a week or two. But I promise you will be thanking yourself when you finally walk out of an exam and be able think, “I aced that.”

Stop waking up 15 minutes before class

This might be asking too much if you have an 8 a.m. (you can have a hall pass), but there’s no reason to be waking up at 11:45 a.m. if your class is at 12 p.m. It’s really hard to stay engaged in class when you just woke up, and you’ll also feel like you’ve wasted half of your day. So try getting up just a little earlier, and maybe you’ll even have time to make breakfast!

Change your going-out habits

This can go either way: If either you stay in too much and end up losing touch with friends, or if you find yourself waking up hungover a few more times than you’d like, it might be time to make a change. If you’re in the former category, text your friends when you have a free night, and finally go to The Red Lion with them, even if it means you have to work a little harder to finish your schoolwork for that week. If you’re in the latter group, maybe take a break and watch a movie or catch up on homework. Your mental and physical health will thank you.

Check your bank account balance often

Maybe you keep Uber Eat-ing McDonald’s, or you forget drink deals are over and end up ordering 12 drinks in one night. Whatever it is, your bank account is probably not very happy with you. Keeping tabs on what your balance is might help you to refrain from spending more than you should.

Finally go to the ARC or CRCE 

This might be the hardest one. Every new year everyone decides to get in shape, but by February they’ve already canceled their gym membership. I don’t blame you if you do the same thing, but just try. Maybe this year it’ll finally catch on.

Meal prep and/or eat healthier

When you haven’t eaten all day and all you can think about is food, it’s easy to just walk to Green Street and indulge yourself. What’s not as easy to do is eat healthily, but if you stock your fridge with nutritious ingredients or healthy meals all ready to go, you will find yourself eating less from fast-food restaurants. It’ll save you money on eating out and will have you feeling better.

Put effort into your future

Whether it be applying to internships and job shadows — or just figuring out what your major should be — take time to think about what it is you want to do after graduation. It can be easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of college life, so it’s important you set aside time to discover new opportunities that will help you live a successful and happy life after you graduate college.

Cassie is a sophomore in Business.