Here’s why you should sublet instead of sign

Brian Bauer

The exterior of Gregory Towers at 1107 S. Fourth St. in Champaign. Assistant Photo Editor Brian Bauer says subleasing an apartment is a lower commitment than signing a lease on your own.

By Brian Bauer, Assistant Photo Editor

Subletting an apartment is usually a person’s last resort. It is a desperate maneuver typically sought out by students going or returning from studying abroad. But there are benefits to subletting that make it a desirable living situation in its own right. For some, it may be a better fit than signing a full-term lease although that’s not to say there aren’t significant drawbacks because all options have them. Here are some of the pros and cons to weigh when considering living in a sublet.

Lower commitment

There can be a lot of pressure to make an apartment dynamic work when cosigning with others. It is an involved process that starts months in advance. Subletting is less of a commitment, especially if you’re looking only for a semester. Your roommates will have everything set up with the landlord and utilities, requiring only the monthly Venmo payment from you. Rent is generally cheaper as a sublet, and by going through other renters trying to fill the apartment you are in a better position to negotiate. If things take a turn for the worse, or you just want a change of location, you can leave for something else. There are always options people are trying to fill, so you just have to look.

Protect old friendships and make new ones

A lot of friendships are dama by the stress of living together. Seeing them so much of the day, every day and experiencing another person’s habits can create a wedge between friends. Fights can break out over who does the dishes and who needs to throw away the trash. Differing standards of cleanliness can create tension, and early birds might clash with night owls. By subletting, you can separate your friendships from this potential damage. On the other hand, you have the chance to determine how close you want to be with your unknown roommates. You could stay as friendly, yet distant acquaintances or grow close and forge new friendships. And if you want to get away from your roommates you are now guaranteed to have friends outside the apartment.  

Be wary of new roommates

As always, when settling in a home and living with strangers, take all the necessary precautions. Look into your potential roommates, and ask any mutual friends you may have if they can vouch for them. Double-check the bills to make sure you aren’t getting taken advantage of and ripped off. Hide and secure your valuables while keeping an inventory of your belongings. 

Don’t wait until the last minute

While subletting lets you look at available places all year long, you have to plan ahead and give yourself enough time. Waiting until the first day of class and needing to couch surf while you still hunt for apartments is not a good spot to find yourself in. As you will probably with dealing with other students, it’s important to allow for their busy schedules and get everything settled before it’s too late.

Brian is a senior in LAS.