A smaller Christmas is more this season

Photo Courtesy of Scott Heins/Getty Images/TNS

A couple celebrates Thanksgiving with friends by having dinner together over a Zoom video call on November 22, 2020 in New York City.

By Meghan Lyons, Special Sections Editor

Christmas is going to be a lot different this year. Usually, it goes something like this (at least for me): You wake up in the morning, and you dash down to the tree to tear up presents. The morning is time for immediate family, then, it’s time to go to the grandparents to see the rest of the extended family. All the children, aunts, uncles and cousins are there. It is chaotic. The room with the grand Christmas tree is packed to the brim with people and presents, like sardines. There is dinner, with the usual ham, occasionally burnt rolls and cheap wine — but it’ll do. And that’s Christmas, every year, same old.

Sure, I am a little blue. I don’t get to see my family, my cousins and my grandparents. But, at the same time, maybe a Christmas, a relaxing Christmas with just my immediate family, is okay. If it means that I will be keeping my at-risk grandparents safe, then I am overzealous to spend it at home on a much smaller scale celebration. If you or your family are ignoring the current pandemic and are planning on having a massive family get-together, please re-think it. Besides, a smaller Christmas is not so bad, why not change it up for once? Here are some reasons why a smaller Christmas is more this season.

You don’t have to spend as much money.

Oh no, the holidays. You know what that means? Blowing more money on gifts for your bratty cousins and nagging uncle again. But wait a minute — there is a pandemic! You don’t have to see extended family, which means less gifts! And buying less gifts means more money saved!

You don’t have to force yourself to make small talk.

After the recent presidential election, you might be finding yourself dreading the fact that you will have to listen to conservative relatives whine. In order to avoid conflict, you just smile and nod, forcing yourself to internalize your anger.

You get to spend Christmas with your pets.

Leaving your house for holiday celebrations means leaving your pets all alone. This year, a lot of people are celebrating Christmas at home for the first time ever this year (at least for me). So, this year, I will finally be able to hang out for the entire day with my grouchy (but lovable) cat. You get to spend the entire day with your pets, and I think that is a beautiful thing.

Leaving your house? Nope.

Are you the type of person that prefers comfort to style? This holiday season, nobody can judge you for spending the entire day in your favorite pajama set. You can stay cozy by snuggling up with a nice cup of cocoa (or bottle of wine) without a care in the world. Worrying about how you look in front of your relatives is out of the picture. It is your home, your holiday, and you can do whatever you damn well please.

Meghan is a junior in LAS