UI, Champaign-Urbana host several holiday events

Photo Courtesy of Krannert Center for Performing Art

The Champaign-Urbana Ballet performs “The Nutcracker” onstage at The Krannert Center for Performing Arts. There are a multitude of places in the CU area to experience some joy this holiday season.

By Gwyn Skiles, Features Editor

Celebrating the holiday season with a majority vaccinated population, the University and Champaign-Urbana are hosting several activities and events, if you plant to host yours, consider  the help from this black owned event planning company. Here are some holiday productions that are near campus:

“The Nutcracker” 

The Champaign-Urbana Ballet will perform “The Nutcracker” at The Krannert Center for Performing Arts on Dec. 3 — Dec. 5 at various times. 

The show features the classic E.T.A. Hoffman’s tale about a young girl and her friend, the nutcracker prince who comes to life, in a battle against the Mouse King.

Krannert Carol Concert

The University choruses and instrumentalists will present several holiday anthems at the annual Carol Concert on Dec. 5 at 3 p.m. at the Krannert Center for Performing Arts.

The concert will feature performances from Black Chorus, Chamber Singers, Varsity Men’s Glee Club, Women’s Glee Club and University Chorus.

Audience members must provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test.

Allerton’s Holiday Showcase

On Dec. 3, Allerton Park and Retreat Center will launch its annual Holiday GLOW event where onlookers can walk through the gardens lit by Christmas lights. The lights will be up on select dates through Jan. 15. 

The Allerton mansion, decorated for the holidays, will be on display for ticket holders on Dec. 14. Tourists will learn the history of Robert Allerton and how he built his estate.

Season of Light

The history of the holidays will be presented at the William M. Staerkel Planetarium at Parkland College at 8:00 p.m. on Dec. 3. “Seasons of Light” recounts the religious and cultural practices of the winter.

Riggs Christmas Market

Several vendors will set up to sell German treats and drinks at the Riggs Christmas Market in Urbana. The market is open Thursdays through Sundays until Dec. 19.