UI System President Tim Killeen receives raise

Photo Courtesy of Brian Stauffe/UI News Burea

University of Illinois President Timothy Killeen poses for a photo at the President’s House in Urbana. Kileen received a raise last year bringing his salary from $600,000 to $835,000.

By Gwyn Skiles, Features Editor

The president of the state’s largest public universities received a raise.

Last year, Tim Killeen’s pay was raised by 40%, bringing his salary from $600,000 to $835,000.

His proposed salary is $851,700, a 2% increase from the previous year, according to data obtained by The Daily Illini.

In 2019, Killeen was the 63rd highest-paid president according to data provided by The Chronicle of Higher Education. Killeen’s pay is higher than other presidents such as Raymond W. Cross, president of the University of Wisconsin System, who made $547,665 in 2019 — $142,177 less than Killeen’s salary in 2019.

Killeen first became president of the Urbana-Champaign, Chicago and Springfield locations in 2015.

He set a goal in 2017 to increase enrollment in University of Illinois systems by 15%. After this fall semester, enrollment rates have grown by 16% since 2017. There are currently 94,750 students in the University of Illinois System.