Fun things to do in Champaign

Burnham 310 is a high-rise student housing community designed for under and upperclassmen, international students, grad students, and more.

It is located on East Springfield Avenue between Third and Fourth Streets, and down the street from the University of Illinois campus. Nearby hot spots include Fiesta Cafe, Chopstix, County Market, and Scott Park.

The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Location: Champaign, IL

First on our list of fun things to do in Champaign is touring the University of Illinois. The University is surrounded in historic buildings, trees and other attractions full of culture and rich history. The institution is widely known for its leadership expertise in learning, discovery, engagement and economic development. A tour around the campus will allow you to learn a bit more of the history behind each building. You’ll also be able to see iconic areas like the Ice ArenaIllini Grove, and the libraries on campus. Visiting the University of Illinois will also help you learn more about the innovative atmosphere and vibrant student life on campus.

The University of Illinois Arboretum

Location: 2001 S. Lincoln Ave., Urbana, IL 61802

Primarily used for the conservation and research of local plant life in the state, the University of Illinois Arboretum offers multiple themed gardens open to the public. You can take a nice romantic walk around the ponds or discover the beauty behind the Hartley garden. The arboretum also consists of the NoelCherry TreeKari WalkwayOak GroveIdea, and Hasta Society gardens. Whether you just want to visit one or all of the gardens, you’re bound to run into relaxing spots full of delightful colors and setups worthy of a picture.

Fighting Illini Athletics

Location: 1402 S. First St., Champaign, IL 61820

There’s no better way to experience a fun college night than cheering on your favorite team. Dressed in orange and blue, crowds cheer the Illini on until the end. Imagine how packed Memorial Stadium or State Farm Center get and the contagious excitement that takes over the environment. All of the sports facilities at the University of Illinois are prepared to receive thousands of fans full of school spirit and in search of the win. It is extremely easy to get caught up in the great college atmosphere and enjoy the performances of the cheer squads, band, and other spirit teams.

Crystal Lake Park

Location: 206 W. Park St., Urbana, IL 61801

Crystal Lake Park features a beautiful green forest, labyrinth, fishing, and other important amenities. Home to the Busey Woods and Crystal Lake Park Family Aquatic Center, Crystal Lake Park hosts plenty of special events and recreational camps throughout the year that make a visit even more interesting.

William M. Staerkel Planetarium

Location: 2400 W. Bradley Ave., Champaign, IL 61821

The Staerkel Planetarium is the second largest planetarium in Illinois with a state-of-the-art dome to witness the stellar light show. The planetarium is amongst the most educating fun things to do in Champaign, thanks to its programs and presentations that help explain some of the universe’s biggest mysteries. The planetarium is also a popular spot for local field trips and other interactive events.

Robert C. Porter Family Park

Location: 2310 S. Rising Rd., Champaign, IL 61822

Robert Porter Family Park is the perfect destination if you’re looking to take a break from the city scene and enjoy nature. This city project aims to preserve and share the beauty behind the once neglected wildlife in Illinois. Porter Park is home to a restored prairie that brings out the hidden beauty of the park through trees, a walking trail, a small shelter, a pond, and native plants.

West Side Park

Location: 400 W. University Ave., Champaign, IL 61820

Distinctly urban, West Side Park features the town’s most anticipated community events. From lovely fountains and interesting art around its grounds, this Champaign destination has the perfect environment to enjoy a stroll or run. You can take advantage of the open lawn space to fly a kite on a nice windy day or play some catch with your family and friends. A playground with vibrant colors will keep your children entertained for a good hour.

Krannert Art Museum

Location: 500 E. Peabody Dr., Champaign, IL 61820

The Krannert Art Museum aims to connect people and the arts through rich collections from all over the globe. It features collections that were created by those who currently teach at the School of Art + Design as well as other seasonal exhibits. The museum is also home to some historic collections that date back up to 4,000 B.C., representing various cultures of the world. Among the cultures featured, you will find Greek, Roman, Asian, Native American, and others with great historical ties. You can enjoy a guided tour or adventure by yourself at this great museum.

Dodds Park

Location: 1501 N. Mattis Ave., Champaign, IL 61821

Located in the northwestern part of Champaign, Dodds Park offers a fun solution to your outdoor needs. This great park includes 12 soccer fields, seven baseball fields, a disc golf course, and a garden plot. Enjoy recreational sports on game days and relieve stress by enjoying the park’s amenities. In Dodd’s park, check out the Tribute to Olympic and Paralympic Athletes. The monument is a dedication to the athletes who have represented Champaign County in the Olympics.

Kaufman Lake

Location: 2702 W. Springfield Ave., Champaign, IL 61822

Whether it’s during the summer or winter, Kaufman Lake offers plenty of fun things to do in Champaign. The lake features fishing, duck feeding, beautiful flower gardens, and outdoor trails for the public to enjoy. Kaufman Lake features cross country skiing and hayrack rides during the winter and water activities during the summer. It’s a nice spot to enjoy a day full of outdoor recreation with your family and other small groups.

Seven Saints

Location: 32 E. Chester St., Champaign, IL 61820

Seven Saints is an American tavern that serves up some of the most creative burgers, craft beers, amazing cocktails and wine. It’s a great local business with a cozy environment and yummy appetizers. You can enjoy some sliders with a drink or order a large meal to complement your choice of alcohol. With a unique interior design, you’re sure to enjoy good food and good music.

Dos Reales Mexican Restaurant

Location: 1407 N. Prospect Ave., Champaign, IL 61820

Dos Reales is one of the few Hispanic businesses in Champaign that serves up large portions of goodness. Do yourself a favor and order any of the dishes that include cheese-covered steak or chicken. The restaurant also serves unique cocktails and vibrant margaritas to spice up your night.

Sun Singer Restaurant, Wine & Spirits

Location: 1115 Windsor Rd., Champaign, IL 61821

Trying out one of the many wines at Sun Singer is one of those things every adult has to do in Champaign. Sun Singer boasts a large collection of fine wines, beer, and spirits that help provide Champaign with some of the best restaurant services. This one-stop restaurant is a relaxing place to enjoy a tasty dish along with your choice of fine drinks. This venue offers wine tastings and special events to the public, while allowing individuals to reserve the space for private occasions.