The Chicago Bears’ Fiercest NFL Matchups

When it comes to NFL history, there are perhaps no other teams that can provoke such intense feelings as the Chicago Bears. The Bears, being one of the most famous teams in the NFL, have had to compete against many challenging NFL matchups performed by some of the best players from the league. These games are not only the fight on the pitch but the parts of history being written.

The Green Bay Packers: The Ultimate Rivalry of Them All

Discussing the Chicago Bears’ difficult games would be inconsequent without mentioning their rivals, the Green Bay Packers. Both teams are among the most bitter rivals in the NFL, their first meeting having taken place in 1921.

The two teams’ rivalry is even more intense because the two cities are neighbors. Every game is a faceoff, and every match is famous because its moments have gone down in NFL history. For instance, in the 1985 Monday Night Football game, the Bears’ defense led by Mike Singletary devastated the Packers 23-7. This game portrayed the Bears’ defense as a hard-nosed team that was not easy to defeat and made them more formidable.

In the last several years, the competition has remained rather high flung. For instance, in the first game of the 2018 season, the Packers defeated the Bears 24-23, having been down 20-0. However, the game depicted the spirit of the Bears-Packers rivalry, especially the spirit of the Bears in the face of a game that was pretty much lost.

The Minnesota Vikings: NFC North: The Titans Battle It Out

The Bears usually struggle a lot when they are up against the Minnesota Vikings. The two teams are well known to really put up a struggle for the NFC North championship most of the time, making their games something really spicy.

The most thrilling of face-offs happened in 2009, and this game represented well the power of both teams. The Bears, with their quarterback Jay Cutler, defeated the Vikings with Brett Favre as their quarterback in the match that ended with the score of 36-30 in overtime. This game not only revived the Bears’ playoff chances but was also typical of many of their battles against Minnesota, with the fight to the end.

It is hard to choose among games, but when the Bears won the NFC North title in 2018 with a 24-10 win over the Vikings, it was also special. Khalil Mack and the Bear’s defense was great; they harassed Kirk Cousins and sent the Bears to the playoffs after eight years of waiting.

The Detroit Lions: Perseverance and Tenacity

While the Bears’ oldest and most famous rivals are the Green Bay Packers and the Minnesota Vikings, the Lions are their equally fierce opponents. Such games are always exciting and the players are always physical as both teams are always eyeing to get the better of the other and move up the ladder of the division.

The most memorable game was the 1995 Thanksgiving Day match where the Bears thrashed the Lions with a score of 31-27. Erik Kramer completed the pass for 340 yards and three touchdowns to show that Bears-Lions are always a great battle.

Thanksgiving Day game of 2020 was the perfect display of the Bears’ comeback spirit with Mitchell Trubisky throwing the final pass of the ball to David Montgomery to score the winning touchdown in the last minute. This victory 27-23 showed that their clash is always intense and that the outcome can be a toss-up.

The San Francisco 49ers: 80s and 90s Battles

The Bears’ matches against the San Francisco 49ers in the 1980s and ’90s were among the most sought-after in the NFL. Both teams were excellent, each having their star players and the main objective of defeating the other and going to the Super Bowl.

The Bears’ defense, also known as the “Monsters of the Midway,” played one of the most outstanding games in the 1985 NFC Championship against the 49ers with a 23-0 score. This best performance led the Bears to the Super Bowl XX, where they would win the first and only Lombardi trophy.

Another example is the recently-played game between the Bears and the 49ers in 2018 where the game became more defensive. The Bears, with their new defense led by head coach Matt Nagy, bullied the 49ers into submission in a 14-9 victory that proved the team as one of the best defensive outfits in the league.

The Dallas Cowboys: Titans Battle It Off

The Bears and Cowboys have had a long-standing rivalry, and their games have been quite important. These games have been a true challenge to the players, their tactics, and their will.

Another one is the 1985 Monday Night Football classic where the Bears completely dominated the Cowboys with a shut-out, 44-0. This game was an assertion of power; the Bears exhibited a great defense and made sure everyone knew they were a team to be taken seriously that year.

There was also a classic game in 2013 when stand-in quarterback Josh McCown and the Bears defeated the Cowboys 45-28 in the cold at Soldier Field. McCown’s four touchdown passes proved that the Bears are a team that is not going to be easily discouraged and can rise to the occasion when the pressure is on.

Final Notes: There Have Always Been Strong Opponents

The Chicago Bears have gone head-to-head with many strong opponents over the years, and every match is important to the history of the team. Taking into account the age-long rivalry with the Packers, the bitter confrontations with the Vikings, and tough battles with the 49ers, Lions, and Cowboys, all games have presented the Bears with challenges.