Sports column: The time is here

By BobLa Gesse

Saturday has been six months in the making.

Mike Mallory was promoted to Illinois defensive coordinator in December with the objective of turning the doormat of the Big Ten into something that resembles a defense.

Big Ten play is where Mallory’s unit can make its stance – show what it has.

Good luck.

The conference opener is against Purdue – the best offensive team in the Big Ten.

Things couldn’t be any tougher for Mallory.

“That will be a big test for us, trying to stop that offense they have,” said senior linebacker Matt Sinclair.

That offense, led by Heisman hopeful senior quarterback Kyle Orton, puts on a better aerial show than the Blue Angels.

Illinois has defended the pass better than expected this season; unfortunately, the Boilermakers can run the ball, too.

Despite their razzle-dazzle antics, the Boilermakers can play smash mouth football that would make Joe Gibbs proud.

“They can hurt you in a lot of ways and they can hurt you very quickly,” said Turner.

Purdue can do anything. And that’s what is scary.

Mallory’s defense has shown improvements, but it might not even have a chance against Purdue.

Mallory might try to stop Jerod Void, who almost had a Heisman campaign started when he scored four touchdowns against Illinois last year.

Tiller can counter by having Orton throw to the touchdown machine known as senior wide receiver Taylor Stubblefield.

Or Tiller can have Orton drop back and just pick apart the Illini defense. Potential NFL first-round picks can do that kind of thing.

If that isn’t enough, Purdue didn’t play last week. They’ve had two weeks to prepare for Illinois.

Giving a mad scientist like Tiller extra time to prepare for an opponent can be dangerous. He will be able to combine his fades, crossing routes and swing passes to make some new lethal passing plays.

It would not be out of line to see Purdue score three touchdowns in its first three plays.

The Boilermakers are that good.

Purdue will be able to score on just about anybody this year, and that might lead the team to the Rose Bowl.

That is why this game may not really be able to show if Mallory has been able to improve the defense.

That question – the biggest question of the year for the Illini – could not be answered in the non-conference schedule. Playing three mediocre teams that pass more than they run doesn’t resemble Big Ten play.

(Don’t even think UCLA has a power running game after running back Maurice Drew set a school record of 322 rushing yards against Washington last week.)

So has the defense learned what it has to do to stop Purdue?

“In order to beat Purdue, we’ll have to play our own football,” said junior cornerback James Cooper. “The last couple of games, we haven’t played at our speed. We have to get used to the new defense. Once we settle in and play our football, it will be ‘What will Purdue be able to do to stop us?'”

Is six months enough time for that to happen?

Bobby La Gesse is a senior in communications. He can be reached at [email protected].