Obermier to fill Virtue’s ‘shoes’

By Ian Gold

Stephanie Obermeier has been practicing for this moment all her life. But she didn’t expect nor want it to come this early. The redshirt freshman setter will be starting her first home game this weekend.

Beginning this weekend, the Illini will have a 19-year-old filling in for a pre-season All-American. Erin Virtue injured her ACL against Ball State and will be out for the rest of the season.

Although injuries are common in any sport, losing the star setter is hitting Illini fans hard.

“Sports injuries happen, and when they do, I feel disconnected,” said Illini fan Ben Kantor, junior in LAS. “But with Erin (Virtue), it’s killing me; when I read the news online, I actually just sat at my computer in disbelief.”

Kantor said he will be at Huff Hall both nights this weekend to show he has faith in Obermeier and the rest of the team. Illinois head coach Don Hardin hopes to see the same effect across campus.

“She is an awesome person; first of all, she has worked really hard and is as prepared a freshman as can be,” Hardin said. “I hope the crowd gives her a big ovation and rallies around her because she is stepping into a tough situation.”

Many considered Virtue the heart of the team, but Obermeier has all the characteristics to keep the Illini pulse going.

Last year, the Illini preached using their swords instead of their shields, and before a crucial game on the road against Michigan State, Obermeier hid in a towel basket and popped out when coach Hardin walked in and yelled, “Swords!”

The stunt gave the team a good laugh but also demonstrated the leadership qualities necessary to find a way to get a point across.

“Stephanie is an amazing setter,” said Virtue. “She has a good spirit and she is going to fill my shoes for sure. I know she is up for the challenge.”

Obermeier has also been known to shake off adversity with her calm, yet playful, demeanor.

“One time she called me and told me that she was making lunch,” defensive specialist and roommate Katy Pratapas said. “So some of the team went over there excited for a nice meal, and somehow she was able to mess up macaroni and cheese. Of course she laughed her way out of it.”

Obermeier might fool around outside the gym, but she has been a perfect apprentice in following Virtue toward being the best.

“I know we can’t replace Erin (Virtue),” Obermeier said. “She is great at everything. I’m just so lucky and glad I had her to follow. Having her to learn from has made all the difference. My job is to keep the team together and make it happen.”

At the beginning of the season, the Illini set lofty goals. Losing Virtue isn’t an easy obstacle to overcome, but the goals haven’t changed.

“It’s been very clear that one player out of the lineup is not going to change our goals,” Virtue said. “We are going to go after them. With a player stepping in for me as talented as Obermeier, we have to.”