Sports column: Stone-cold truth

By Jacob Bressler

Cubs announcer Steve Stone has been labeled many things in his life – Cy Young Award winner, insightful, ingenious baseball analyst, and in the mid-1990’s, possibly the only man in America sporting a perm.

However, one thing that will never be associated with Stone’s name is dishonesty.

While the Cubs roster and manager collapsed in the final week of the season, Stoney became the Tribune Company’s most valuable employee.

The veteran color analyst broadcast to the Cub faithful what he really thought about the 2004 team – they were an underachieving, whiny bunch of blokes who couldn’t execute.

The justified ribbing continued with an attack on maligned manager Dusty Baker, who was clearly outwitted by his National League counterparts. As Stone pointed out, this was especially apparent in Thursday’s devastating 2-1 loss to the Reds in 12 innings.

Props go out to Stone for not being a puppet of the Cubs or the Tribune Company. He has been around baseball long enough to make harsh criticisms and was representing the frustration of the entire Cubs legion.

So, as the entire organization whined about Stone’s comments on the final two days of the season, my respect for him grew even more.

His commentary just added to the list of things this team has complained about.

I don’t know if there has ever been a major league baseball team composed of more mental midgets. Somebody wake up Mr. Belvedere; we are going to need some housecleaning.

Moises Alou, that crazy guy who plays left field and urinates on his hands, genuinely believes there is a mass conspiracy against him regarding ball and strike calls.

I’ll let Steve take care of this one: “Never in 35 years of baseball have I heard someone say there’s a conspiracy against him when it comes to balls and strikes.”

The Cubs vs. Stoney feud went on for pretty much the entire summer. In August, relief pitcher Kent Mercker actually called the broadcast booth during a game to complain.

Here’s a thought: Why doesn’t the bullpen pay attention to the game on the field rather than who Steve and Chip Caray are criticizing?

Mercker did finish the season with a 2.55 ERA, but still – how sensitive can you be? What type of baby calls the broadcast booth to complain?

As I watched the Cubs fold in the final week, I wondered why Stoney isn’t managing in a dugout instead of commenting from a booth.

I came up with only one logical explanation: He is too knowledgeable for his own good. Stone has clearly burned a lot of bridges in his day.

He must have the persona around baseball of being a cocky S.O.B. The way he criticizes players, gives out advice and speaks the truth on the air must have cost him some jobs.

There have been plenty of openings with the Cubs in recent memory. Since the late 90’s, Jim Riggleman, Don Baylor, and Bruce Kimm have all been fired as Cubs managers.

Yet, inexplicably, Stoney’s name has never been mentioned as a serious candidate. A man of his knowledge should be utilizing his talents somewhere other than the broadcast booth.

Then again, I’m happy Steve was covering the Cubs this year. Without him, this last week would really have been painful.

Jacob Bressler is a senior in communications. He can be reached at [email protected].