Sports column: Seniors get some help

By BobLa Gesse

The last time Illinois won a Big Ten football game, Texas Hold ‘Em wasn’t even known in Texas, Jon Stewart wasn’t a new generation’s Walter Cronkite with one-liners, and The Godfather was Marlon Brando, not Luke Wilson.

And now, 714 days later, the 14-game Big Ten losing streak is over. The seniors walked out of Memorial Stadium for the final time as winners. And they can thank the underclassmen – sophomore running back Pierre Thomas, junior wide receiver Kendrick Jones and junior punter Steve Weatherford – who did everything they could for the seniors.

“To me, it’s something special for them,” Thomas said. “I had to give it my all for these guys. I know since they’ve been here, they’ve been through a lot. They gave a lot to this team.”

Thomas gave a 185-yard, one-touchdown performance. It was a replica of his game against Michigan State – in which he ran for 188 yards. It was a replica of what Thomas has shown in his two years on campus – he can take over a game.

Thomas carried Illinois on his back and the Illini won. It shouldn’t be surprising. Illinois almost beat Michigan State when Thomas got the ball. Illinois led Michigan 17-10 at the half when Thomas got the ball.

He has turned into a premier running back – when not banged up with shoulder and leg injuries. Premier backs get the ball on seven straight plays on the game-winning drive. Premier backs find a way to get the necessary seven yards for a first down on the final drive when a hole is not there.

Fellow sophomore running back E.B. Halsey is no slouch himself, but is Thomas slowly turning into Illinois’ number-one rushing option?

“If (Thomas) runs like (Saturday), we’ll get the ball in his hands at Northwestern,” said Illinois head coach Ron Turner.

Thomas’ performance would have been nothing but a footnote in another Illinois loss if Weatherford didn’t do his best Thomas impression on a fake punt. Indiana had a 19-0 lead. The Hoosiers had the fans chanting “Fire Turner.”

Weatherford’s 12-yard run re-energized the fans.

It was about time the Illinois fans applauded Weatherford. He has been Illinois’ most consistent performer all season. It’s not a title teams want to give to their punter, but Weatherford can boot the ball 55 yards or pin opponents inside the 10. On a winning team, Weatherford would be a cult hero, like the Illinois football version of Jerrance Howard.

If the Illini fans weren’t back into the game after Weatherford’s run, they were after sophomore quarterback Brad Bower threw a 56-yard touchdown pass to Jones. It was only fitting that Jones had two touchdown catches Saturday – along with 91 receiving yards.

Jones dropped several balls he could have caught Saturday. Jones had a good day, but could have had a monster day. His day was a microcosm of Illinois’ struggles. But unlike in the past, Jones and the Illini overcame his mistakes with a two-yard touchdown catch – uncovered in the end zone.

“They made a bust and put nobody on me,” Jones said. “(Senior quarterback Jon Beutjer) didn’t believe I was open like that. I’m thinking in my head, ‘I don’t want to drop it.’ If I did, it was probably my head.”

Jones’ job is secure, but the same can’t be said for Turner – even with a win. Illinois beat Indiana football, not the 1980s Bobby Knight basketball teams.

But the smile on the team’s face is secure for two weeks. A smile 714 days overdue.

Bobby La Gesse is a senior in communications. He can be reached at [email protected].