VanMeter matures, propels Illinois team

Online Poster

Online Poster

By Ian Gold

When the game is on the line there is no question where the Illini are going with the ball. Setter Stephanie Obermeier will be fixated on the red-haired, hard-hitting junior, Rachel VanMeter.

VanMeter has always had the ability to take over a game. Last year, the outside hitter had weekends that made opposing defenses sit in film sessions perplexed on how to possibly stop her. But there were also weekends where she found a way to stop herself. This season she has been the force that guides the Illini.

“This year I’m definitely more mature,” VanMeter said. “I can do more than just hit now. Last year I was unconfident on the court and I’ve developed to where I can be consistent.”

When athletes are young and so talented, they show glimpses of what they are capable of and raise expectations. Some find a way to strengthen their skills and become dominant and some end their careers as could-have-beens. VanMeter has embraced the team game as well as improved her own skills; and the results are obvious.

“We have our obvious goals for the team: Big Ten,” VanMeter said. “But we also want to go deep into the NCAA tournament. I try to keep those goals central right now. The awards of my own will come with consistent play.”

Head Coach Don Hardin is more than happy with VanMeter’s play, but was equally pleased with the way she was developing and motivating the team.

“She has improved with handling pressure and responsibility and has developed into a leadership role,” Hardin said. “Her physical talent is unlimited – she is blessed with attributes that most of us can only read about. She is bringing it together with her preparation and attitude.”

VanMeter has always been one of the players that can silence an opposing crowd with her violent swings. She swings to find the floor, even if putting the ball through someone is necessary.

“Hitting is my favorite part; I like to hit people,” VanMeter said. “When I really get into a hit, it can take the other team out of the game. When you have no answer to somebody it makes it really hard.”

VanMeter believed that she was on her way to becoming the player who can average hitting .300 or better while getting 20-plus kills a night. She has teetered on the brink of those numbers for most of the year.

With her maturation VanMeter has been handed the utmost trust of her teammates. When freshman setter Stephanie Obermeier took over the position after Erin Virtue’s injury, she was given the advantage of having VanMeter to her left.

“When the game is in the clutch, she gets even better,” Obermeier said. “It’s like she changes into an alter-ego, The Phoenix. I know that I can go to her; she has that determined attitude to just finish that game.”

After graduation, VanMeter planned on playing volleyball for Team USA or playing overseas, but she said she couldn’t get into coaching.

“I can’t sit on the sideline – I’m just too fiery for that.”