A look at Big Ten competition

By Ian Gold

Illinois is a consensus pick to repeat as Big Ten champions. But Illinois head coach Bruce Weber still says Illinois won last year despite not being favored. Translaton – don’t hand the Big Ten title to Illinois just yet.

Michigan

Only two teams reached tournament play and went out on a high note. Connecticut, the national champions and Michigan, the NIT champions. The Wolverines are a team that will be a dark horse contender for the Big Ten title.

Why? Because Michigan can match the rest of the Big Ten frontrunners in star power. Junior guard Daniel Horton and sophomore Center Courtney Sims are the best inside-outside combination in the conference. The biggest difference in Michigan this year – an improved attitude.

Michigan State

Michigan State was ranked towards the top of the nation last year and plummeted because of a grueling out of conference schedule which exposed it’s easiest to spot weakness – lack of a point guard. Despite that, the Spartans still managed to lead the Big Ten in scoring last year. Michigan State’s real problem – rebounding and defense.

An aggressive rebounding teams could out-muscled the Spartans last year. Junior center Paul David showed the country a lot when he was biting a towel and grimacing as if he was having his leg amputated against Wisconsin last season – he is not going to have the guts to do the grunt work needed. If the Spartans are going to improve it’s going to be a team defensive effort.

Northwestern

Their coach is the returning Big Ten Coach of the Year, nobody in the conference can figure out their offense and they have arguably as many NBA prospects as any team in the Big Ten. Junior guard T.J. Parker is the most under-rated player in the conference and Team USA already proved that they don’t fare well against foreign competition.

Northwestern has six players from other countries, most notably Parker, senior guard Mohamed Hachad, and forwards Vedran Vukusic and Davor Duvancic. Last year the Wildcats had a problem with depth, this year they have more capable reserves.

Wisconsin

The Badgers waved goodbye to Big Ten Player of the Year Devin Harris – as he left the team to find himself a lottery draft pick. Last year it was evident that everything ran through Harris, so this year is going to be rough getting over his absence. To add to the trama, junior guard Boo Wade was suspended from the team. Wisconsin will still be a tournament team because of their strong big men and a healthy junior forward Alando Tucker. Transfer senior guard Sharif Chambliss, who came from Penn State, will be asked to help ease the guard losses.

Indiana

After not making the Big Dance for the first time since Dinosaurs ruled the earth, Hoosier head coach Mike Davis is on the hot seat. Junior guard Bracey Wright has shown what he is capable of, but he couldn’t shoulder the load of leading the team last year.

This year with freshman help, Wright’s team has tournament aspirations. Indiana will be one of the most dangerous teams game in and game out if they don’t crack under the pressure of their own schedule, featuring No. 4 North Carolina, No. 8 Kentucky, No. 20 Notre Dame and No. 8 Connecticut.

Iowa

Iowa is a team that nobody seems to be talking about; yet they return a core of players who were on the verge of making the NCAA Tournament. Junior guards Jeff Horner and Pierre Pierce are one of the only backcourts that can match up to Illinois, Michigan and Michigan State. What the Hawkeye’s lack in big men they make up for in effort upfront. Once again, Iowa will probably miss the tournament, but it could damage the dreams of potential Big Ten champion teams.

Purdue

How a team will respond to having two head coaches is anybody’s guess. Matt Painter is in to learn about the team while legend Gene Keady is on his way out. Keady’s exit saddens every coach in the conference.

Guards, senior Brandon McKnight and junior David Teague, are solid players but are simply not up to lifting their team to the top of the conference. Hopefully, Purdue can sell out Mackey Arena to end Keady’s career, Orange Krush aided or not.

Ohio State

The Buckeyes are a tough team, they don’t seem to go away and their core of players return from last year. This is a team that could make a Northwestern type leap towards the front end of the Big Ten, or it could be one who give new coach Thad Matta growing pains. Matta will turn the Buckeyes around and he has a couple players who he could turn into All-Big Ten performers. Junior forward Terrance Dials can be a beast inside and wingmen Guards, junior J.J. Sullinger and senior Tony Stockman, both can pour on the offense.

Penn State

Nittany Lion guards are vastly underrated. Sophomores Ben Luber and Marlon Smith have bright futures in this league, but will struggle with putting wins together. Penn State lost their season opener to Illinois State 82-73, and will have to quickly rebound before the season gets out of hand.

Minnesota

A year off of probation, Minnesota head coach Dan Monson has a lot to look forward to. He is finally able to build a team in his image and has the cupcake of all cupcake schedules. Whoever Lipscomb is, they are playing the Gophers on opening night. Monson had the team agree before the season started that they would all be working harder than they ever have in their lives, while having fun.

Click here for stats, rosters, schedules and more…