Carter finds opportunity

Online Poster

Online Poster

By Ian Gold

The Illini have handfuls of exciting players on the court; but only one has ESPN SportsCenter editors drooling over his incuts and outcuts.

Sophomore Brian Randle was widely considered the most improved player this past summer and the player who would give the Illini an athletic spark off the bench – a role that shouldn’t be overlooked.

Randle is a rare specimen: a 6-foot-8 wing player with the quicks to give guards fits and the hops to whip 17,000 orange-clad friends into frenzies with his highlight dunks.

“In practice, Brian impressed us because he was shooting the ball better,” said assistant coach Jay Price. “He is just so athletic and quick. He brings energy to the team and I think that’s where he is most noticeable.”

Randle in fact was the coaching staff’s preferred player to give the near-untouchable Deron Williams a look in practice. But a broken hand will sideline him for six to 10 weeks, opening up a spot in the Illini substitution script.

In a season where the expectations are so grand, the team cannot afford to leave his spot open – and the logical pick to fill Randle’s shoes is Warren Carter.

“Warren has the first chance at filling Brian’s role,” Price said. “He can play some three and some four. Brian was the backup three man and now we have to find one. Warren has to dedicate himself; he has the opportunity now and he really has to work at it. He is so long and athletic and can make some shots; we really need to be able to play him.”

Carter has the same body type, comparable athleticism, and after a trip to Europe with a Big Ten traveling team, he has the confidence that he is a difference maker. He will not be asked to win games on his own, but he still has an important role.

“I will play the same role as Brian, play defense and bring some energy,” Carter said. “We have so many scorers that offensively I can just take the open shots I get. My role is to come in and play hard for the 10 or 15 minutes I can get.”

Carter has had periods of play in practice where he looks like the real deal, a poor man’s Hakim Warrick; but other times, coaches have had to ask him to wake up and be more aggressive.

Throughout his life, Carter has learned how to take criticism and how to work through it; by the time college rolled around, the head on his shoulders was as secure as Fort Knox. He realizes that the coaches are right and that he has areas of his play to improve upon.

“The coaches want me to get a sense of urgency,” Carter said. “Brian will always jump in the passing lane, make a steal, get a rebound and get the big dunk to excite the crowd. I need to step up and do those little things. I know I can contribute to the team.”