Zook, Guenther share vision for Illinois football

By BobLa Gesse

Illinois athletic director Ron Guenther believes Illinois can be in a bowl game next year.

Former Florida head coach Ron Zook probably does too.

When Guenther interviewed Zook on Tuesday, both men had a similar take on where Illinois football is headed, said Florida offensive line coach Joe Wickline.

“They talked about where (to take) the direction of the program from here,” Wickline said. “Their views were very much alike about the program.”

Zook was “very energetic” about Illinois football after his meeting with Guenther, Wickline said.

Other prominent candidates for the position include Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach and San Diego tight ends coach Tim Brewster. Brewster has already interviewed with Guenther, according to WGN.

Guenther also reiterated to Zook he wants to have a coach named as soon as possible.

“(Zook) did comment that they wanted to move quick,” Wickline said.

East Carolina is reportedly interested in Zook, as is Florida – to coach the Peach Bowl. The Gators are expected to announce who will coach the team in the Peach Bowl by next week, Wickline said.

No matter where Zook ends up, he wants to bring his coaching staff with him – and possibly some of his highly prized recruits. Florida currently has six oral commitments for the 2005 class, including Rivals Top 100 prospect defensive back Avery Atkins.

“(Zook) feels he would like to bring as many as he could from a coaching standpoint and from a recruiting ties standpoint,” Wickline said.