Illinois hooks Zook

Associated Press

Associated Press

By BobLa Gesse

Ron Zook told part of his Florida coaching staff that if he would be a coach at Illinois, it would happen today.

Illinois has announced a press conference for Tuesday at 1 p.m. – when former Florida coach Ron Zook will be named Illinois’ 22nd football head coach, according to ESPN.com.

Zook inherits a three-win team with a stable of running backs and an unsettled quarterback position. The Illinois defense finished 10th in the Big Ten in scoring, allowing 29 points a game. There is good talent in the sophomore and freshman classes.

“I’m excited for Ron Zook,” said Florida offensive line coach Joe Wickline. “(Coaching at Illinois is) something he has talked about wanting to do.”

Zook’s strength is recruiting – which is what Illinois athletic director Ron Guenther said was one of the downfalls of Ron Turner’s regime.

Zook will bring recruiting ties to Florida – something Illinois did not have under Turner – and possibly some of the six recruits that have verbally committed to Florida for next year.

“I know Illinois will be proud of him,” Wickline said. “(Illinois is) going to like him. He is good people.”

Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley fired Zook on Oct. 25. But Zook coached the final four games, in which the Gators went 3-1, including a 20-13 victory over then-No. 10 Florida State. Zook was 23-14 in his three seasons at Florida and went to two Outback Bowls. This year Florida will play Miami in the Peach Bowl.

Zook’s first game as Illinois head coach is scheduled for Sept. 3, 2005, against Rutgers at Memorial Stadium.