Men compete over break

Dee Brown (11) puts up the ball during the second half Saturday at the United Center in Chicago. Brown scored 13 points with five assists in the 83-66 victory over Oregon. Online Poster

By Ian Gold

The Illini have blown out the likes of Wake Forest and Gonzaga, filled the United Center and earned the No. 1 ranking in the country – but they’re still looking forward to the next day in practice.

Illinois is 9-0 and is rounding out the end of its non-conference schedule in the coming few weeks. Currently, the team is off for finals but will jump right back into the heart of its schedule. Because of the Big Ten’s dismal performance early on, it is more important that Illinois gain national respect outside of conference play.

With only four games left until the Big Ten schedule begins, the team needs to be aware of a Cincinnati team seeking revenge after last year’s tournament blowout by the Illini and the “Braggin’ Rights” game against Missouri.

“We are trying to take one game at a time; we are trying to take one day at a time,” assistant coach Tracy Webster said. “We haven’t talked about the Big Ten season; I’m sure the guys have seen who we play first and who we play second.

“We have to continue to take one day at a time and just get better. Those guys are going to be jacked up about playing in conference play, but first we have to handle playing out of conference.”

After the Illini’s early-season performances, it might seem difficult to believe they have much to work on, but the coaching staff insists they must continue to improve.

This team has lofty goals. Its road to one of those goals – a Big Ten championship -ÿbegins on Jan. 5, when Illinois takes on Ohio State at home.

“We need to stay consistent with our defense and overall get better at screening and rebounding,” Webster said. “It’s those little, small things. We need to continue to be unselfish, but it’s the small things that are going to keep us winning.”

Illinois has yet to face a late-game challenge, and the coaches would like to see their team respond in the clutch.

“If the games aren’t close that means we are playing well,” Webster said. “We have had some games that were closer than what the score would say in the end. I have no problem with winning big, but our guys are confident and experienced enough to win some games if they are close.”

Illinois’ next game is at home against Valparaiso in the first round of the Las Vegas Holiday tournament; the game is scheduled for Dec. 19 at 4 p.m.

Still on top

The new national polls came out Monday. Illinois further distanced itself from No. 2 Kansas in both polls to stay at No. 1. The Illini received 21 first-place votes in the ESPN/USA Today Coaches poll, compared with the 18 they received last week.