Q&A;: Warren Carter

By Ian Gold

Q: What is your favorite part about Champaign-Urbana?

A: It’s a small city and it revolves around the University of Illinois.

Q: Why did you pick the number 41?

A: It was the only number I could get in high school. We only had a certain amount of jerseys and 41 was the closest I could get to 32. So I just stuck with it after that.

Q: If you had an X-Men-type superpower, what would it be?

A: I guess I would want to have the best accuracy in the world. That way I could make every shot.

Q: Who was the first person who told you that you were No. 1?

A: Coach Weber, actually. That was the first person I heard it from at practice.

Q: If you played “And 1,” what would your nickname be?

A: We kind of do that here in practice. They call me “Midnight” because I’m the darkest dude on the team.

Q: What’s your favorite quirk about Coach Weber?

A: He overemphasizes on anything. He has a loud voice to begin with, but he finds little ways to make it even louder. I don’t know how that’s possible.

Q: What’s your favorite movie and the last time you watched it?

A: (Jack Ingram chimes in “The Lion King”) Lion King is up there but probably Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. I watched that last week.

Q: What would you change about Illinois basketball facilities?

A: I would have a bigger weight room downstairs. Our weight room is nice here, but it’s not as big as the one at Huff.

Q: If you had to pick one teammate to be your lifeline on Who Wants to be a Millionaire, who would it be?

A: Definitely Jack Or Nick (Smith). They know things that nobody else is supposed to know. They will just sit on the couch all the time and watch the history channel.

Q: If you could trade bodies with one teammate, who would it be?

A: I would mix and match. I would take James’ (Augustine) body build, but I would keep my size and my length. I like the way I’m built – long and lean.

Q: If you could play any position on the court and be as skilled as you want to be, where would it be?

A: At my size, if I could play point guard at 6′ 9”, I would be Lebron James and you see how much money he’s making.

Q: What’s it like being from Texas and getting through these winters?

A: I don’t think there are words to describe. I remember last year I wouldn’t believe how much snow would be out there.

Q: In your apartment, who takes the most food from you?

A: I don’t know – Jack, James and Nick. We just eat whatever is lying around, but James won’t mind to be accused in the paper, so I’m saying James.

Q: What’s your favorite non-Assembly Hall venue?

A: My favorite game was the Purdue game, but my favorite stadium was the Georgia Dome where we played Duke last year.

Q: What do you think of the Orange Krush “Warren Carter” chant?

A: I like it. It makes me feel special when I come in the game. It puts a smile on my face every time.