Men set for toughest match of indoor season

Tim Eggerding

Tim Eggerding

By Troy Murray

The men’s track team will compete in the Carle/Health Alliance Invite this weekend at the UI Armory in arguably its toughest meet of the season against Georgia and No. 7 Wisconsin.

“This meet has a lot more potential and better competition than our other meets,” said sophomore distance runner Jason Bill.

Sophomore Chris Solinsky of defending Big Ten Champion Wisconsin recorded the third-fastest mile time in the country last weekend.

The team also has two of the top ten long jumpers in the country with junior Joe Conway and sophomore Paul Hubbard. Sophomore heptathletes Joe Detmer and senior Ben Roland will challenge Illinois’ Clint Cherco for the win.

Georgia had two All-Americans last year in senior hurdler LaRon Bennett and triple jumper Antonio Saunders. Bennett finished third in the 2004 SEC Championship, fourth in the 2004 NCAA Championship and competed in the 2004 Olympic trials.

Freshman Demiko Goodman was ranked eighth in the world as a junior athlete and was a silver medallist in the World Youth Championship in 2003.

With the level of talent coming to Illinois this weekend, Coach Wayne Angel is anticipating a competitive meet.

“This is probably going to be one of the best track meets that Illinois has had in the last twenty years,” Angel said. “I’m very excited.”

Highlights of the meet will come in the 400m, 600m and 1,000m runs. In the 400m, Bennett and Goodman of Georgia will go up against sophomore Nathan Vadeboncoeur and junior Abe Jones of Illinois. Bennett’s best time is 46.53, with Goodman’s at 45.94, Vadeboncoeur’s at 47.60 and Jones’ best at 48.11.

“This will be a marquee race, a serious clash of the titans,” Angel said.

The mile relay will also feature two of the top teams in the country between Georgia and Illinois according to Angel.

“This is going to be the biggest test that we will have at home this year,” Angel said. “Going against the SEC and going against the Big Ten Champ, Wisconsin, is going to be a real test for us. We have not been tested yet and this is what we’ve been waiting for: to find out just how good we are as a team.”

Although the Illini are facing their toughest competition of the year, Bill said they are not backing down from the challenge the tough competition will pose.

“We definitely want to win,” Bill said. “One of our goals at the beginning of the season was to go undefeated at home. I definitely think we can do that; we just have to have a good meet this weekend. The competition is getting a little better.”

Illinois comes into this meet riding a high after dominating their first three meets. Bill said the success and the confidence that has come with the wins could be a good thing for the team this weekend.

“We’re feeling confident,” Bill said. “We have a good group of young guys, juniors, seniors, good group of leaders and we’ve been competing well. I think this weekend will be no exception. We’re going to get up there and run hard.”