University Archives pay tribute to basketball history

By Nathan Grimm

Even the University Archives are getting into the spirit of Illinois basketball.

For the 100th year of men’s basketball, the Archives, located in room 19 of the Library, have put together a display commemorating the past 100 years of basketball at the University. The project is the brainchild of Jonathan Schlesinger, freshman in LAS and Archives employee.

“It was my idea, with all the excitement centered around the 100th anniversary of Illinois basketball, to celebrate the history,” Schlesinger said. “I knew we had the resources, so putting something together wouldn’t be difficult.”

The display, entitled “100 + Years of Illinois Basketball,” follows the team from the beginning and highlights dates and games over the years that molded the history of Illinois basketball. The tribute covers not only the history of men’s basketball, but also gives information about the women’s basketball team and wheelchair basketball. Representing all sides of Illinois basketball was important to the creators of the display.

“Basketball, as a game, is not just something that is played for the Big Ten, ESPN-type revenues,” said Bill Maher, University archivist. “It’s also done in other contexts.”

The display took Schlesinger over 30 hours to put together with the help of Maher and others.

The title is a reflection of the fact that though this season is widely recognized as the 100th year of varsity men’s basketball, it does not actually mark the centennial of the first organized basketball competition at Illinois.

In doing research for the project, Schlesinger found information suggesting the first official basketball played at Illinois was done by a women’s reading club several years before the first varsity basketball team was formed.

That and other facts about the history of Illinois basketball can be viewed in the Archives, where the exhibit will remain displayed until March. Maher said if no other topics present themselves, the display may remain up all semester.

“I really hope more people will come into the Archives and really explore everything that we have,” Schlesinger said. “Hopefully, with interest being so high, more people will come in and check it out.”