Penalties cost hockey chance against Icers

By Dan Berrigan

Opportunity knocked on the Illinois hockey team’s door this weekend, but the Illini were in the shower.

The Illini lost 2-1 and tied 3-3 against No. 2 Penn State, as special teams cost the Illini their chance at knocking off the five-time national champions. All of the Icers’ five goals this weekend were on the power play.

“I’m not going to make excuses for anyone,” Illinois head coach Chad Cassel said. “We were bad on special teams this weekend, just bad.”

Even strength, the Illini shut down Penn State’s top lines all weekend and could have won. Shorthanded, however, Illinois only stopped one of Penn State’s six opportunities.

Friday night, Illinois fell behind early when two penalties led to two Penn State goals in the first period. Senior defenseman Justin Stock’s penalty was the most blatant – a lumberjack-like swing across the chest of a Penn State player after the play.

“I was just pretty jacked-up for the game, and I caught myself in the middle,” Stock said. “I did it, and I knew it was a mistake right away.”

His penalty and the ensuing goal gave Penn State the game-winning goal. He said he was pretty somber inside the locker room afterwards and did what he could to make it up to his team.

Saturday night, Stock opened up the scoring in the first, but penalties erased the Illini lead by the middle of the third period. Down by one, sophomore goaltender Mike DeGeorge caught Penn State during a line change with a pass to senior forward Brian Coleman, who scored on the miscue to tie the game. The overtime period was dominated by Penn State, but DeGeorge held the Illini in it to salvage the weekend.

“We found out how much work we really have to do,” senior forward Scott Kohler said. “There is competition out there that can beat us if we don’t do our jobs.”

Kohler also said the Illini are wondering what happened to their dynamite special teams from the last three weeks. The Illini power play unit was one for six and, on two chances, didn’t even record a shot on goal.

The difference is the quality of competition, Cassel said.

“We can’t judge ourselves on St. Louis,” he said. “You have to judge yourself against teams of this caliber and against teams that we are going to have to beat in the national tournament – we’re awful.”

Alumni weekend also brought with it a moment of remembrance for former Illini player Artie Olson, who died suddenly in July of a heart aneurysm at the age of 26. In a speech between periods, Cassel remembered Olson’s passion and love for the team and his family. Cassel and current members of the Illini hockey club then presented the Olson family with a framed No. 4 jersey for their son and brother.

After Penn State’s reality check, the Illini now head to the league playoffs to avenge their regular season championship loss to Ohio.

“I’m disappointed in the outcome, but I really like this team,” Cassel said. “We can get better, and we will get better.”