Column: Get on with it

By BobLa Gesse

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. – Penn State student Adam Sterusky told me the football team could field a better basketball squad than what Penn State head coach Ed DeChellis puts on the floor.

I thought Sterusky was kidding.

He wasn’t. And Illinois knew it, too.

The Smilin’ Illini looked bored during their 83-63 beating of Penn State. Not in the second half that didn’t matter, but before tip off.

How could you blame the Illini?

Illinois head coach Bruce Weber told the Illini they had to beat Penn State by 30 when the Nittany Lions came to Assembly Hall.

Playing sub-par competition isn’t going to do much for Illinois down the stretch run.

Heck, even a perfect season isn’t fazing the Illini right now.

“I felt there was more pressure with us last year to win the Big Ten title,” Weber said.

Winning 10 games is more stressful than winning 39? What is there that can bring the fun back out onto the court?

The NCAA Tournament. And start it right now. No more regular season games. No Big Ten tournament.

The Big Dance is the only way to get the bored look out of the Smilin’ Illini’s eyes.

The game Wednesday was over after the first play. A dunk by junior forward James Augustine.

The Illini didn’t celebrate after the play. They jogged indifferently back on defense.

There was still 39:46 left in the game before Illinois could head back to Champaign.

Sophomore forward Brian Randle didn’t make the Penn State trip. Can’t blame him either. He could do more productive stuff on campus instead of sitting through the blowout.

Study for class. Run. Improve his jump shot.

In the NCAA Tournament, every game matters. One loss. Season’s over. Boredom isn’t allowed in the tournament.

There wasn’t much to look forward to against the Nittany Lions. Maybe staying at the classy Nittany Lion Inn.

What does Illinois have left to fight for?

A Big Ten title is all but locked up.

A perfect regular season would be cause for celebration, but how would it help Illinois with its long-term goals?

“Winning the Big Ten tournament, getting a high seed and advancing in March is important,” Weber said.

Beating the bottom half of the Big Ten doesn’t help Illinois fine tune itself for the three-week run in March and April.

In the final regular season games, teams springboard great play into tournament success.

Bored play doesn’t have as good of springs.

Good thing Illinois’ been sharp all year.

“They don’t have any kinks in their armor,” DeChellis said.

But a team can never be sharp enough.

One more battle with a top team would do more to get Illinois tournament ready than an undefeated regular season and beating on NIT teams at best.

The only team top team in the Big Ten – Michigan State.

And Illinois dismantled them by 13 points in the Breslin Center.

And Illinois isn’t guaranteed a game against them in the Big Ten Tournament.

So undefeated regular season it is. Boredom or not.