Runner dashes to world ranking

By Troy Murray

Zach Glavash was runner-up in the Big Ten Championship in the 600m last year as freshman, but no one expected him to perform the way he has this season.

So far this year, Glavash has automatically qualified for the NCAA National Indoor Championship meet in March, set one school record and came within a second of breaking another. In the 600m, Glavash is currently ranked No. 14 in the world, No. 3 in America and No. 3 collegiately.

At the Carle/Health Alliance Classic on Jan. 29, Glavash set the school record in the 600m, running the event in 1:17.31. The previous record stood for six years and was set by U.S. Olympian Bobby True.

At the Cyclone Classic on Feb. 12, Glavash came within a second of breaking his second school record this year, running the 800m in 1:47.79. This time automatically qualified Glavash for the NCAA Championships.

Glavash’s vast improvement has even surprised Illinois head coach Wayne Angel.

“I didn’t think the breakthrough would be that big,” Angel said. “I knew he could run 1:48, but 1:47 this soon caught me by surprise. The fact that Zach did it as a sophomore is amazing. Bobby True ran that time as a senior. It’s truly amazing.”

Glavash holds the Illinois Class A high school state record in the 600m and was a two-time Class A 800m State Champion, but Glavash said his last run was his best moment in track.

“When I ran an automatically qualifying time I beat guys that I heard about the last two years and never even imagined beating,” Glavash said. “Just to know that I’m on the same level as them and that I beat them makes me ecstatic. It’s the best feeling I’ve ever had in track.”

His senior year of high school, Glavash was recruited by other schools including Purdue, but decided on Illinois because of the storied track program and quality academics. Although Gary Wieneke, who was replaced by Angel during Glavash’s freshman year at Illinois, recruited him, Glavash said his relationship with Angel has blossomed and he owes much of his success to the second year coach.

“Coach Angel was able to take a mediocre runner and turn him into a runner that’s ranked third in the nation right now,” Glavash said. “He’s doing that for everyone right now. He’s like my dad away from home. He and I are really close; he’s close with all the athletes. If I ever have a problem, I go to him. He’s a great all-around guy.”

But Angel looks at it in a different light and seems to credit Glavash’s hard work in the off-season for the runner’s success.

“I think the young man is phenomenal,” Angel said. “He’s done a great job training, he’s stronger, he’s more dedicated and he’s committed. I think what helps Zach out now is that he knows he can run with anyone in the country.”