Three women earn All-Big Ten team honors

By Derek Barichello

Three Illini women’s basketball members were named to the All-Big Ten team Tuesday.

Senior forward Angelina Williams was selected to the first team by the media and the second team on the coaches’ ballot.

Senior guard Tiffanie Guthrie was an honorable mention selection to the All-Big Ten team, and freshman forward Danyel Crutcher was named to the All-Freshman team.

Williams’ selection to the first team was the first for the Illini on either ballot since 2002 when Iveta Marcauskaite was chosen.

“It was great to hear that,” Williams said. “It’s a great accomplishment. I give my teammates credit for that also, it would not be possible without them.”

Williams finished the conference third in scoring, averaging 18.8 point per game. On Dec. 27, she won Big Ten Player of the Week.

It was the third-straight all-conference selection for Williams. She was a second team selection by the coaches and a third team pick by the media in 2003. Last year, she was a third team media pick and an honorable mention coaches’ pick.

“The media did a good job,” said head coach Theresa Grentz. “I’m very proud of Angel; she has worked hard.”

Guthrie earned the second All-Big Ten honor of her career, finishing ninth in the conference in scoring, averaging 15.8 points.

Crutcher was the first Illini player to be selected to the All-Freshman team since Williams in 2002.

Crutcher led all Big Ten freshmen in field goal percentage and finished second among freshmen in rebounding.

Grentz said the three Big Ten selections show how talented the Illini were this season.

“I’m very proud,” Grentz said. “They worked very hard. The team is completely supportive. Angel and Tiffanie have been very consistent, and Danyel has stepped up as a freshman.”