Hockey upsets Nos. 1, 2 to win

By Dan Berrigan

BENSENVILLE, Ill. – So, this is what the other side of the rainbow looks like.

After frustrating losses the past four times in the Final Four and once in the finals, the No. 4 Illini hockey club captured its first-ever American Collegiate Hockey Association National Championship Sunday evening, beating No. 2 Penn State 4-3.

“Unbelievable,” senior forward Brett Duncan said. “This is the best feeling in the world to end my senior season like this.”

The team poured over the bench to celebrate as the horn sounded, making the upset official. In the stands, hundreds of Illinois hockey parents, alumni and fans hugged, high-fived and cheered to ring in the school’s first-ever title.

“Our guys have worked so hard all tournament,” said Illini head coach Chad Cassel. “They battled for 60 minutes every game, and I can’t say enough about how well our seniors played. They led the way for us along with (sophomore goaltender) Mike DeGeorge in net. He stood on his head.”

Just three weeks ago, a national championship wasn’t even on the radar. A winless weekend against Penn State at home, and a 5-1 collapse in the league playoffs against Ohio, who the Illini had beaten and tied earlier, had the players at each other’s throats.

“Two or three weeks ago it was looking a little grim,” said senior forward Jim Rogers. “Everybody knew we had the talent and ability to do this but didn’t know if we were going to bring it together or not.”

But the loss became a rallying point. The team appeared invincible all weekend long and played with more heart and determination than ever.

“It taught us a great lesson, and there really aren’t any individuals on this team any more,” DeGeorge said. “We came together to work towards the same goal.”

The weekend was a dream come true for the Illini hockey club, and it started with an easy 6-1 win over No. 13 Washington and Jefferson, powered by a three goals from Rogers.

Quarter-Finals

In the quarter-finals Illinois was tested early against No. 5 Lindenwood. Rogers spent five minutes in the box during the first period for a hard hit that flattened a Lion’s player.

Still, the Illini were able to stave off the power play, which gave the team more energy and momentum, Cassel said.

“It really deflated Lindenwood because they had no success on a five minute power play, and our guys really responded.”

Lindenwood attempted to come back early in the third period and closed the Illinois lead to 2-1. Illinois got lucky when a few minutes later a close shot bounced off both posts but stayed out of the net.

Then, with two minutes left in the game, Rogers scored again to give Illinois the breathing room it needed and the eventual 3-1 win.

Semi-finals

In the semi-finals against No. 1 Rhode Island, Illinois would have to upset the Rams who had been voted the best club team in the country since Nov. 19.

“From the beginning we knew we had to play our best game or we were going to lose,” freshman forward Nick Fabbrini said. “Nobody wanted to make mistakes.”

In a close game scoring first is huge, Cassel said, and despite being out-shot 9-4 in the first period, the Illini were able to get the go-ahead goal. Sophomore forward Marshall Chubirka capitalized on a Rams turnover in the neutral zone, skated past the defense and scored over sophomore goaltender Paul Mammola’s shoulder.

But the Rams capitalized on sloppy play in the second period to tie the score at three goals a piece.

“I thought (junior forward) Mike Roesch’s goal to put us up 3-1 would have been the turning point, but to give them credit, they did not give up,” senior forward Brian Coleman said.

The third period looked bleak for the Illini as nothing seemed to click, and for eight minutes DeGeorge was peppered with shot after shot.

But a hooking penalty on Rhode Island gave Illinois the break they needed to take back the game.

“We knew it was going to be a huge swing in the momentum if they killed it, or if we scored, so there was no way we were going to let up,” senior forward Scott Kohler said.

On the power play, Coleman faked out the Rams defensemen for a goal and gave Illinois the lead.

“On a power play that’s just what I’m supposed to do,” Coleman said. “I scored this time, but next time it will be somebody else. Our power play is supposed to score every time it’s out there.”

Coleman tacked on one more goal later in the period to ice the No. 1 seed, 5-3.

Finals

In the finals, Illinois had to face the No. 2 Penn State Icers, the team that shut them down only a few weeks before.

Going into the final, the Illini knew they couldn’t make the same mistakes they had last time. In February, the Icers scored each of their five goals on the power play.

“Goal number one was to stay out of the box,” Cassel said. “We had to stay disciplined and give ourselves a chance.”

But five minutes into the game, the Illini were shorthanded as a result of a hooking penalty on junior forward Steve Krates. Still, they held the Icers to three shots and no scores.

It was also the last time the Illini would be shorthanded.

Minutes later when Penn State was called for holding, freshman forward Alex Park punched in a rebound to give the Illini the lead, 1-0.

The fans and bench erupted.

“We knew we had to establish ourselves first, dominate them from the start and get the first goal,” Rogers said. “We did that, and we rolled from there.”

Illinois’ one-goal lead would hold up all the way through the second period. The Illini started the final period 20 minutes away from fulfilling their dream.

In the third period, both teams scrapped it out. Penn State tied the game only to watch Illinois take the lead again seconds later.

“Freshman year we played them and lost,” Rogers said. “I don’t think anyone realized how big it was at the time. Senior year we get them again, we know we couldn’t make the same mistake, and we went out there and played harder than any team here.”

But each time the Illini opened up a lead, the Icers would bring it within one.

That is until senior forward Brett Duncan found an opening.

“I was just thinking, ‘Take it to the net,’ but when I looked up and saw (Alex) Park was covered, I cut back and put it far-side,” Duncan said. “Luckily, it worked.”

The fans would have to continue holding their breath. With their goalie pulled, Penn State closed the gap to one and hit Rogers hard enough to give him a concussion.

“All I remember is turning around and seeing an elbow coming at my head, and I got sent,” Rogers said. “I was not sitting at all though – no way. I wasn’t going to the trainer’s room or the hospital. I was going back out there on the ice.”

Two minutes later, the Illini made history. Benches emptied and Illinois knocked off a club hockey dynasty.

“I can’t explain what happened out there,” Kohler said. “Just 26 of us – amazing.”

The Illini not only upset two higher seeds, but in four games, they never trailed their opponents.

“In the end, they just wanted it more than we did,” said Penn State head coach Joe Battista. “Their seniors really stepped up. My hat’s off to them because they got (the Illini) big goals when they needed it.”

Cassel and Battista are really good friends, and he said he couldn’t be happier for Illinois’ head coach.

“We’ve always looked at Illinois as our sister school,” Battista said.

Rogers said he has never seen the Illini play this well and owes it all to the team’s camaraderie.

“Quite frankly this is the best team chemistry I’ve played with on any team,” Rogers said. “Incredible.”