Opinion column: Overlooked ’til the end

By BobLa Gesse

ST. LOUIS – The talk Monday is about Illinois on the verge of its first national title. Or on Weber winning one for his mom. Others talk about the dream match up, Illinois vs. North Carolina. Will the stars or the true team win?

There are storylines galore for the championship game Monday. Make sure you don’t miss the most overlooked one – it may be the last time you ever see it.

Junior guard Deron Williams will be playing his last game as an Illini. The NBA is in his future. Williams’ time in college only has a few more passes left and the same may be said for the true, unselfish, team-oriented point guard.

Williams is the only one of his kind in college. Point-guards are no longer point men. They are shooters. Passing isn’t as vogue as it was when Magic Johnson was in the game. Today’s kids want to take threes and dunk the ball.

That gets you on Sportscenter. Not passing, playing defense or doing the things needed to win.

“Most point guards in high school are scoring point guards,” Williams said. “It is hard when you are scoring 30 points a game in high school to come to college and be grounded enough to come out there and score 10 points and give out nine assists.”

It hasn’t been a problem for Williams.

His mom taught him to pass first. Now, those lessons could lead Illinois to its first national title. For Williams the championship trophy is the only thing he wants.

Stats are useless to him. Same with individual awards. He is fine with making a crisp pass to Dee for three. He loves seeing his teammates pile up award after award.

Williams gets his satisfaction in something else. The one thing all true point guards care about.

“He wants to win,” Weber said. “That is all he wants to do.”

So Williams will do anything it takes to win. Make the extra pass. Grab a loose ball. Defend the ball.

Williams’ will to win has shown in his defensive performance the last two games. Williams, who Weber continually refers to as pudgy, turned two of the countries best scorers – Arizona’s Salim Stoudamire and Louisville’s Francisco Garcia – into offensive afterthoughts. No one else in the country has done a similar feat all year.

But few people heard about it. Something about Illinois overcoming a 15-point Arizona lead and 20-points from seniors Roger Powell Jr. and Luther Head overshadowed both accomplishments.

Williams doesn’t care. Illinois won. Again. But a Final Four win isn’t enough. True to his position, Williams isn’t taking his eyes off his ultimate target.

“You don’t want to stop playing basketball and win one game (in St. Louis),” Williams said. “You want to win the championship. That is why you play the game.”

If Illinois is to win that championship, Williams will be in the middle of it. Watching him orchestrate the Illinois offense is a sight to see. It is basketball the way it was meant to be. Beautiful and entertaining – the kind of stuff Bill Walton rambles on about during NBA games.

When Illinois offense rolls, no one can stop it. Points come in bunches. The ball never touches the ground. Only the bottom of jaws do.

“I think people don’t appreciate it because he doesn’t have the numbers,” Weber said. “But the true basketball people understand how good he is, whether it’s NBA scouts, opponents, they understand that he makes our team go. He’s the foundation of the team.”

If Illinois’ offense moves Walton, you’ll see the action unfold by watching Williams. If North Carolina can’t score from the perimeter, Williams will be there, too. Probably keeping Rashad McCants and Raymond Felton from putting up a shot.

Whatever the outcome, Williams will be in the middle of it.

Just don’t miss this final performance. Illinois may not have another like him again.