Column: Opening baseball right

By Jeff Feyerer

Judging by the number of stories about the basketball team and the abundance of orange on this campus, opening day in baseball was nothing but a formality with little fanfare.

Well folks, I was taught to adhere to all rights of spring, and for this reason I was firmly planted on my couch by 1 p.m.

I knew there was a basketball game to be played tonight at 8, and that was the number one thing on my agenda on Monday – but baseball had to be given the proper attention.

This year, it’s more important than usual.

One of the most tumultuous off-seasons just finished, and baseball is now trying to find its way back on the right track.

Last week I went through my predictions of the division races, and although I’m already seeing the error in my ways in not supporting the Padres like I did last year, this year’s baseball season is all about accentuating the positive.

What does baseball need in order to leave the negative publicity of steroids, Jason Giambi, Barry Bonds and Jose Canseco behind?

Well, one of them, putting Canseco on The Surreal Life Season V, has already been done. Man, is that guy desperate for money.

Someone needs to prove that fifty home runs can be hit without steroids. Calling Albert Pujols or Mark Texiera.

Fans can pray for the health of Ken Griffey Jr. During the ’90’s, Griffey was the best in the American League and Barry Bonds was the best in the National League. But since then, Bonds has been surrounded by nothing but controversy, while Griffey has been riddled with injuries. A Grant Hill-type comeback is not out of the realm of possibility for Junior.

More focus on base stealers would be nice. Ricky Henderson and Vince Coleman reigned supreme on the base paths during the ’80’s and young thefts like Tampa Bay’s Carl Crawford and Florida’s Juan Pierre could usher in a revitalization of the stolen base.

Maybe the attention to steroids and the possibility of decreasing home run numbers will bring more publicity to the talented young arms in the game like San Diego’s Jake Peavy, Milwaukee’s Ben Sheets and Oakland’s Rich Harden. These guys will be dominating hitters for years to come (and if you’re paying attention, put them on your Fantasy teams).

Seeing some struggling smaller-market teams that improved in the off-season, like Milwaukee or Baltimore, stay in contention would give hope to every team in the league.

A little local wish. Here’s praying the Sox and Cubs will be important in October.

The continued rivalry of the Red Sox and the Yankees wouldn’t hurt.

Put Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame. He committed his crimes after his stellar playing career.

One of the most talented rookie classes in history led by Tampa Bay’s Scott Kazmir, Seattle’s Jeremy Reed, Philadelphia’s Gavin Floyd and Oakland’s Huston Street will need to start off on the right foot because they will be the pillars of the league for the next ten years.

It may take a while for the sting of steroids to be eliminated from America’s game. But as of April 4, it’s time to look on the bright side as the 2005 season has begun.

In all honesty, the only thing that’s going to make baseball forget about steroids is a memorable season from start to finish.

2004, with the Red Sox World Series victory, a nail-biting playoffs, and numerous individual achievements, was one of the greatest seasons in recent history. But to restore order in the great game of baseball, more memories will be needed.

Memories that won’t start, at least on this campus, until Tuesday.

Jeff Feyerer is a senior in applied life studies. He can be reached at [email protected] by the number of stories about the basketball team and the abundance of orange on this campus, opening day in baseball was nothing but a formality with little fanfare.