Davidson named player of the week

Illinois´ Ryan Rogowski watches his solo home run sail over the right field fence in the first inning against Western Michigan on Tuesday at Illinois Field. Online Poster

By Lucas Deal

Illini senior outfielder Drew Davidson was named the Big Ten Player of the Week on Tuesday after helping the Illini to their first-ever four-game sweep over the Ohio State Buckeyes at Illinois Field over the weekend.

Davidson was six-for-nine in the series against the Buckeyes, including a double, a home run, six RBIs and five runs scored. He also pitched earlier in the week against Indiana State, going 1-4 with a run and two RBIs.

Davidson’s best game of the weekend was the finale of the series against the Buckeyes. He had an RBI single and scored in the first inning, had a RBI off a sacrifice fly in the third, singled again in the fifth and seventh innings, before hitting a two-run walk-off homer in the ninth, sending the Illini to the sweep.

On the season, Davidson is hitting .343 with four homers and 19 RBIs and leads the team in runs with 20 and a slugging average of .657.

The West Des Moines, Iowa, native is the first Illini position player to win the award this season and the second overall. Junior right hander Brian Blomquist was named Pitcher of the Week on March 5.