Women’s golf dominates home course

Online Poster

Online Poster

By Christopher Cook

The women’s golf team clinched the Illini Spring Classic on Saturday, taking its first team victory since they won the Spring Classic in 2003.

The Illini were tied with Bradley after Friday’s round but put up a tournament-best 302 score on Saturday in the final round to pull away for the win. The result came from a great team effort with all five Illini scoring in the seventies on the par-72 Stone Creek Golf Course.

Freshman Kristine Cook led the way with an overall score of 150, which tied Ball State’s Carmen Bodine for the tournament’s best individual score. Cook got the tiebreaker after finishing at even-par 72 in the final round – the lowest round score of the tournament. The victory marked the first of Cook’s collegiate career.

“I am really excited about the win,” Cook said. “Especially because it was at our home course, and my friends and family were here to see it.”

Junior Megan Godfrey, who finished third in the individual standings with a 153 score, was full of praise for Cook.

“She’s been a little down in the previous tournaments, so for her to come back and rally like this is just great,” Godfrey said. “We’re really proud of her.”

Sophomore Meghan Naik completed the trio of Illini in the top 10, tying for fifth with a 155 score. The other two Illini team players, senior Lyndsey Milligan and freshman Casey Burden, also played well, finishing 13th and 18th, respectively.

Godfrey pointed out the great team effort.

“It was our consistency that set us apart from the competition,” she said. “Especially in the second round.”

Head coach Paula Smith thought the team’s mindset was a key to the win.

“We were committed to one shot at a time, not at the final outcome,” Smith said.

Smith was especially happy with the second round.

“Being tied after the first round caused a lot of pressure,” she said. “We adapted well to the situation.”

The Illini individuals also played well. Freshman Seul Ki Park tied Burden for the 18th spot, while freshmen Stephanie Mory and Kristin Kallergis placed in 30th and 40th place, respectively.

The 11-team tournament saw Ferris State place second, 12 strokes behind Illinois, while Bradley dropped to third in the final round, 15 strokes out of the top spot.