Team takes second at Taylor Made Invitational

By Nathan Grimm

Men’s golf tied for second place in last weekend’s Bruce Fossum/Taylor Made Invitational, one week after finishing third in Purdue’s Boilermaker Invitational.

The invitational tournament, held in East Lansing, Mich., was the last event the team will compete in before beginning the Big Ten Championships on Saturday. With a second place finish, head coach Mike Small likes where his team is at going into the postseason.

“It was a total team effort,” Small said.

The team was in sixth place out of 15 teams after Saturday, but a strong showing on Sunday helped catapult the team into a second place tie with Xavier. Minnesota won the 54-hole event, shooting three strokes lower than the Illini.

The Illini were led by sophomore Kyle Hosick, whose 4-under par on Sunday helped him tie for fifth among individual competitors for the weekend with a 2-under par for 54 holes.

“Kyle delivered under par scores,” Small said. “I think we’re peaking at the right time.”

With the regular season over, the team looks ahead to the Big Ten Championships at the University Ridge Golf Course in Verona, Wis.

“We know (the course) pretty well,” Small said.

The team will need any edge it can get going into the tournament, as Small said as many as nine teams had a chance to claim the title.

As far as his team’s chances this weekend, Small knows what it will take for the Illini to finish ahead of the pack.

“We have to build on the last two performances,” Small said. “This is what we play for all year.”