Four years of greatness

By Lucas Deal

In my four years at Illinois, it seems there has been a big sporting event every weekend. This weekend was no exception. Dee Brown did the right thing; declare for the draft without hiring an agent.

The last four years were a great time to be a sports fan and attend Illinois. So great, in fact, that my top 10 sports moments at Illinois cannot include the greatest individual performance I have seen at Illinois: when Brian Cook single-handedly overcame an 11-point deficit against Michigan at Assembly Hall while pouring in 26 points in 2003.

Nor does it include Deron Williams’ 31 points against Cincinnati in the 2004 NCAA Tournament. Frank Williams’ game-winning shot for the Big Ten title against Minnesota in 2002 wasn’t the best game-winning shot. Illinois volleyball, after being down two games-to-none to Penn State, found a way to win and it’s not the best comeback of the last four years.

That’s tough competition.

For an event to make my top 10 Illinois sports moments, I had to attend it, cover it or watch it on television. So that rules out men’s tennis’ undefeated national title season, wrestling’s Big Ten championship this year and the football team’s Big Ten championship-clinching win in 2001 over Northwestern (a Thanksgiving Day game not on television, who would have thought).

Anyway, here is my list:

10. Illinois vs. Louisville, volleyball, 2003.

The Illini swept Louisville 3-0 to make the Sweet Sixteen for the first time under Don Hardin since 1998. The players and coaches were so excited they put on leis (they were gong to Hawaii for the next game) and hugged anyone they could find. Including tuba players, fans and even lowly journalists.

9. Illinois vs. Wake Forest, basketball, 2004.

An ocean of orange. A Wake Forest team that underestimated Assembly Hall. A hot-shooting Illinois team. It all adds up to Illinois beating the No. 1 team in the land – for the first time since 1979.

8. Illinois vs. Ohio State, football, 2002.

Ohio State was No. 1 in the BCS rankings. Illinois was finally playing up to its potential and Memorial Stadium was at its loudest in years. John Gockman hit a 48-yard field goal to send the game to overtime. Aaron Moorehead and Walter Young appeared to catch touchdown passes to send the game into double overtime. The officials didn’t think so, and the Buckeyes would go on to win the national title.

7. Illinois vs. Wisconsin, basketball, 2005.

Not only did Illinois snap Wisconsin’s 38-game home court winning streak, but this was also the game where Illinois let the country know it really was a national title contender. Wisconsin built a 56-48 lead and looked to be on its way to another win, until Rich McBride and Jack Ingram hit a few big shots and James Augustine sealed the comeback win with a dunk.

6. Illinois vs. North Carolina, basketball, 2005.

In college basketball everyone wants to play on Monday night. It’s the night of the championship game and this year was Illinois’ first title game. Illinois’ refuse-to-lose attitude turned a horrible first half into one of the best title games in recent memory. Too bad one of the final three’s couldn’t have fallen.

5. Illinois vs. Penn State, football, 2001.

Illinois is down seven going into the fourth quarter. Three Eugene Wilson interceptions help Illinois take the lead at 28-27, only to see Larry Johnson return a kickoff for a touchdown. With just over three minutes left, Kurt Kittner leads Illinois 80 yards for the win, capped off by a 13-yard Rocky Harvey touchdown. If Kittner doesn’t have his version of the drive, Illinois doesn’t win the Big Ten.

4. Illinois vs. Purdue, basketball, 2004.

Yes, Luther Head’s game-winning shot while falling down in overtime to beat Purdue – and give Illinois a share of a Big Ten title – is fourth. The game was redemption for Head and Nick Smith – two players scrutinized the entire year – and validated Bruce Weber as Illinois coach. He was no longer the guy who replaced Bill Self.

3. Illinois vs. USC, volleyball, 2004.

The biggest win on campus in years – maybe since Illinois basketball beat Michigan State in 1979 – and only 2,969 people saw it. Illinois was down two games to one, against USC, the two-time defending National Champion. Illinois fought back with Huff Hall rocking like never before to snap USC’s 52-match winning streak. A come-from-behind victory, plus beating a dynasty (think John Wooden UCLA basketball) and how is this match not No. 1?

2. Centennial Celebration, basketball, 2005.

I grew up on Illinois basketball. I would watch Jerry Gee and Jerry Hester over Michael Jordan as a little kid. Even if Illinois was down by 20. So the Centennial Celebration was like a trip back through my childhood. There was my favorite Illini, Lucas Johnson, with his brother, Brian – my favorite until Lucas came to campus. Over there was Lou Henson. I had chills during the All-Century introductions. God, I love Nick Anderson’s shot against Indiana and Mr. 360, Kenny Battle. My only question: How was Kiwane Garris left off the All-Century team?

1. Illinois vs. Arizona, basketball, 2005.

Down 15 with 4:04 to go, that’s nothing for a team with a refuse-to-lose attitude. Illinois never thought it was going to lose this game. The outcome was sealed when Luther Head stole a Channing Frye pass and instead of running for a layup, sought out the closest Arizona defender with a focused, intense stare. Head’s stare will stay with me forever.

Head and the Illini wouldn’t lose the game, and I wouldn’t have a better memory than standing on the floor next to Brett Dawson of the News-Gazette, the two of us trying to figure out how to put into words the greatest sporting event either of us will probably ever cover.