Illini ready to rock the Spartans

Rashard Mendenhall (5) attempts to elude San Jose State defenders Justin James (95) and Jarron Gilbert (53) in his debut, Sept. 10, at Memorial Stadium. Illinois defeated San Jose State 40-19. Troy Stanger

By Courtnet Linehan

With a tough loss behind them and a tougher Big Ten season ahead, the Illini face Michigan State this weekend to start conference play.

The game will pit the Illini against the 17th-ranked Spartans, who bring a stud quarterback and momentum from a 44-41 upset win against Notre Dame.

“We need to prove that it’s not a fluke or we’re not going to fall on our faces,” Spartans offensive lineman Gordon Niebylski said.

Illinois is hoping 3-0 Michigan State cannot ride its wave of victories any longer. The Illini know this will be another tough matchup, but say that after coming close to topping California on the road last weekend, anything can happen in Memorial Stadium.

Junior quarterback Tim Brasic will need to continue showing poise and confidence if Illinois is going to emerge with a victory. Brasic looked more experienced than he is last weekend against California, but Michigan State’s Drew Stanton is one of the conference’s top quarterbacks.

Brasic looked good in practice this week, but is still improving on his consistency and decision making. While Zook acknowledges that Stanton has a deep pool of skills to draw from, he says Brasic is succeeding by making the most of his own strengths.

“If you would have told me that we would be running the option as much as we’re running it before the season or before the spring, I would have said, ‘I don’t think so,'” Zook said at a press conference Tuesday. “But that’s something we’ve had a little success with, and it does keep people off balance.”

Stanton is backed up by four wide receivers who have all been having good seasons. Zook said that he doesn’t expect the Spartans to rely on their passing game.

“I think they want to run the football also,” Zook said. “They want to be able to control the ball and beat you up, and they’re pretty good at it.”

Zook said he’s impressed with the Spartans overall offense, which is ranked No. 4 in the nation at 557 yards per game.

“I think the offensive line’s pretty good,” Zook said. “There’s no question they’ve got a great scheme, and no question the quarterback can run the ball too, and that’s an added dimension you’ve always got to worry about.”

Michigan State’s defense, on the other hand, ranks 115th in passing, allowing 341 yards per game.

Illinois’ biggest hurdle, though, may be its special teams. Illinois’ kicking game has hardly struggled, despite concerns about possible inconsistency from sophomore kicker Jason Reda and punter Steve Weatherford spraining his ankle against San Jose State. But California returned a punt for a touchdown last weekend, and San Jose State scored on a kickoff return.

Zook says he’s not concerned.

“In both instances we were in a position to make the play,” Zook said. “We may make a change in there just to make sure we’re getting the play made. When you get guys in position to make plays, you’ve got to do it.”

“It’s something that we’ve addressed, it’s something that we’ve worked on, but I don’t see it as a problem.”

While the task for the Illini is going to be daunting, Zook says the prospect of getting started in the Big Ten is driving the team.

“This is what you’re playing for,” Zook said. “It’s a national conference, and one reason they came to the University of Illinois was to have the opportunity to play in this conference. Obviously, we’re lining up against a very good opponent.”

Dan McDonald The Daily Illini

Rashard Mendenhall (5) attempts to elude San Jose State defenders Justin James (95) and Jarron Gilbert (53) in his debut, Sept. 10, at Memorial Stadium. Illinois defeated San Jose State 40-19.

Josh Birnbaum The Daily Illini

Illinois players run onto the field before the game Sept. 10 at Memorial Stadium. Illinois defeated San Jose State, 40-19.