Women upset OSU in Ohio

By Troy Murray

After kicking off the Big Ten season with a loss against No. 4 Penn State in Happy Valley on Friday night, the Illinois women’s volleyball team managed to upset No. 16 Ohio State the next night in Columbus.

The Illini, who lost two consecutive matches in three games, came out of the gates slow against the Buckeyes on Saturday night, losing the first two matches, only to roar back in the next three for the victory.

“This win is gigantic,” said head volleyball coach Don Hardin. “We just answered the call at every moment.”

Illinois’ roster has been decimated by injuries. Senior outside hitter Rasa Virsilaite broke her right pinky finger in a game last weekend, freshman middle blocker Rachel Henderson is out with mononucleosis and sophomore middle blocker Jen Hynds is out with an undisclosed injury.

Red-shirt freshman Kayani Turner filled in for Virsilaite and showed Hardin what she was capable of with 18 kills against Ohio State and 10 kills and 2 blocks against Penn State Friday.

“During this critical time, she’s really coming through in a big way,” Hardin said.

With all the injuries and hardship the team has faced, Hardin said he was proud of the fight his team displayed.

“This is probably the best road win of my career because of the adversity this team fought through and overcame with a lineup that was so short against a top-ranked team on the road.”

On Saturday night, Illinois got off to a slow start in game one and committed five service errors, which proved to be the difference.

After starting off with four straight Illinois errors, Ohio State pulled ahead 4-0. Sophomore middle blocker Vicki Brown helped the Illini storm back and tie the score at 11 after a kill and two blocks.

Illinois stayed within three points the rest of the way and crept within one, but never managed to take the lead. VanMeter kept hope alive with a kill, making the score 29-27 in favor of Ohio State, but a service error by Illinois ended the game.

In the second game, Ohio State quickly pulled ahead 10-4 on six unanswered points. The Buckeyes stretched the score to 14-5 until a tip from the back row by VanMeter sailed over a triple block and landed for a point.

It was not until Ohio State led 20-10 that Illinois finally showed some offensive life. VanMeter, junior middle blocker Meghan Macdonald, and Turner each recording a kill, bringing the Illini within five.

But Ohio State was too much for the Illini as the Buckeyes dominated the rest of the way and took the win in the second game by a score of 30-21.

In the third game, two back-to-back passing errors put Illinois down 6-3, but Macdonald helped the Illini tie the game at nine with a service ace. The score was tied five times and Ohio State had match point twice, but the Buckeyes were unable to capitalize.

VanMeter came through with two kills to give the Illini the lead at 31-30 and an Ohio State error gave Illinois the third game.

In game four, Illinois took a quick 2-0 lead off of two Ohio State errors and never trailed. A kill by sophomore setter Stephanie Obermeier gave Illinois the fourth game and made it 2-2.

The fifth and final game was highlighted by strong play from Turner, who had six kills in the game, leading the Illini to a 17-16 lead. Illinois had match point seven different times and finally finished off the Buckeyes 20-18.

Practice Makes Perfect

This past week, Illinois focused on blocking, a skill that Hardin said is one of the most important in volleyball.

“We weren’t supposed to be a good blocking team,” Hardin said. “It’s the one skill that puts the opponents in a bind and causes them to begin making errors.”

It looked like the practice paid off as Illinois out blocked a Penn State team known for its blocking abilities, and dominated Ohio State in the category. Illinois out-blocked its first two Big Ten opponents 19-11.5.