Women break records at the Shootout at The Legends in Ind.

By Jessica Warchall

Women’s golf found its way into the University record books after the Shootout at The Legends in Franklin, Ind., this past Monday and Tuesday.

“I didn’t even realize that we were going for a record,” head coach Paula Smith said.

The team landed its fifth best three-round total in school history. They finished sixth out of 19 teams with a score of 910. The previous fifth-best score was recorded in 2003 with a score of 216. Sophomore Seul Ki Park led the team to its record setting performance.

Park tied Illinois State’s Samantha Richdale for second place individually with a par score of 216. This three-round total ties for third in University records. The last time a 216 was recorded was in 1992, set by Renee Heiken. Park also set an individual school record after her second round of play. Her second round total of 142 was two strokes less than the previous school record set by Laurin Kanda in 2003.

“I’m really excited about what my team did this weekend,” Smith said.

Smith said that she is asking the team to focus on the process of the game, both mentally and physically, rather than the outcome.

“I feel the team was focusing on the process,” Smith said, “and that is what I’m asking them to do.”

The team has its first week off this season before its final fall tournament Oct. 31-Nov.1. The two-day tournament vs. Edwin Watts/Palmetto Intercollegiate will take place in Kiawah Island, S.C. Smith said that the team will focus on skills such as its short-game as well and getting mentally prepared for the tournament.

“We can’t over practice the short-game,” Smith said.

With the team focusing on the process of the game, which includes short-game preparation, Smith said that the team should finish well.

“We’ve been going strong since August,” she said.