Illini volleyball nabs pair of top recruits

By Lucas Deal

Set to lose seniors Rachel VanMeter and Rasa Virsilaite to graduation next May, the Illinois volleyball team announced the signings of Ashley Edinger and Kylie McCulley at the Bielfeldt Athletic Administration Building on Wednesday.

Edinger is a 5-foot-9 defensive specialist and outside hitter from Michigan City, Ind., while McCulley is a 5-foot-11 outside hitter from nearby Clinton, Ill.

“This recruiting class adds two important factors,” Illini head coach Don Hardin said at Wednesday’s press conference. “We gain outstanding passing and defense in the backcourt combined with powerful outside hitting.”

Edinger is the top-ranked high school libero (defensive specialist) in the nation according to prepvolleyball.com and has been ranked as one of the top-50 players in her class each season by the website. A first-team all-state performer for the last three seasons, Edinger was a member of the USA Volleyball Youth National Team this past summer.

She holds Michigan City High School season and career records in kills, hitting percentage, digs and aces.

While her statistics show her offensive skills are top-notch, Hardin expects to play Edinger primarily at libero – which is her natural position.

“Ashley is well-known in the volleyball circle as perhaps the best libero in this class, nationwide,” Hardin said. “Although she has been an excellent outside hitter for her high school and club programs, her true talents will be featured at the libero position.”

Edinger, a biology and pre-med major, should be expected to play immediately.

“She (Edinger) is always one step ahead of where the play should be and will be a very exciting addition to our program,” Hardin said. “I predict she’ll be a crowd favorite and will be counted on immediately in our plans.”

McCulley also comes to the Illini with a daunting list of accolades.

A three-time Okaw Valley Conference first-team performer, McCulley holds Clinton High School’s all-time career kills record with 1,342 – nearly 450 kills ahead of second place.

A gifted athlete, McCulley was named the 2004 News-Gazette Player of the Year and was named to eight all-tournament teams while in high school. She plans to major in elementary education.

“Kylie will have perhaps the best vertical jump we have seen in many years of Illinois volleyball,” Hardin said. Hardin expects McCulley’s experience on the Illini Elite club volleyball team to help her grow quickly into Illinois’ game plan.

“We have been careful to select only players who will help us move forward from where we have been as a program,” Hardin said. “Without question, these two (players) fit that description. Both players have the ability and are anticipated to have an immediate impact.”