Illini finish as top team in tournament

By Ian Gold

SOUTH PADRE, Texas – One would not think that visiting a tropical island can help with concentration. But Illinois managed to bounce back after a mediocre effort in its first game on the island and win the tournament championship against Rutgers 77-57.

After looking sluggish in its first outings, Illinois turned up the defensive intensity and learned to execute the motion offense with the new players. The lopsided win against Rutgers gave the program momentum heading into the tough stretch of its out-of-conference schedule.

“This trip, it gave us a chance to have some experience,” Weber said. “Being in a close game and finding a way to win, you saw some strides today.”

An even bigger pat on the back is issued because Illinois was able to pull away from Rutgers with All-American guard Dee Brown on the bench with foul trouble. In all, Brown played as few minutes as he has in his career. Instead, the Illini were led by the two players urged to dominate since early fall. Weber and Co. have been redundant in saying James Augustine and Brian Randle need to find the confidence to trust their games. Augustine was named tournament MVP and finished with a team-high 18 points, while Randle did all the little things, chipping in with 16 points.

“It really came out today,” Randle said. “Before this game I kind of realized when the younger guys are in it’s my job, it’s James’ job, we have to keep everyone in line and keep everybody going.”

As far as self assurance is concerned.

“This kind of just gives me more confidence, and basketball is all about confidence,” Randle said.

Even without the star guard, Illinois was able to make the offense look exponentially better then they did the afternoon before. The motion looked the way it was drawn up, the players took high- quality shots and the underclassmen stepped in and proved their worth.

“The bench did a great job today and carried us when everyone was in foul trouble,” Augustine said. “I was in foul trouble, Dee was in foul trouble; it means a lot to know your bench can go out there and do the same thing that you do.”

After the Illini’s tournament win, the team had to hustle and change; their plane left soon after the final buzzer sounded and they had a day off practice Sunday. The team attributes extra film time and work as being the difference between the result on Friday as compared to Saturday.

“I think we’re doing well,” Augustine said. “Obviously we are not where we want to be, but we are making progress and that’s what counts.”

As for the ACC/Big Ten challenge game and national championship rematch looming Tuesday night, the Illini performance Saturday will let the coaching staff sleep a little easier. What a difference the day made; the team now feels more prepared.

“I feel better than last night, last night I would have said no way,” Weber said. “They (North Carolina) are new and young, we peeked at it today. They are playing at home and have some talented kids, but I think our kids will be up for it.”

Sharp Threads

Because of the National Championship rematch billing Tuesday’s game is sure to receive, Illinois and North Carolina will be wearing alternate uniforms designed by Nike. Pictures of the uniforms have already been leaked to the Internet. The jury is out as to style points, but come Wednesday morning there will be enough water-cooler talk to go around.