Vukusic held to season low performance

By Lucas Deal

EVANSTON, Ill. – Vedran Vukusic is a known scorer. Entering Saturday’s home game against Illinois, the Northwestern senior forward was averaging close to 21 points per game, tops in the Big Ten.

Vukusic had scored in double figures in each of Northwestern’s first 16 games, including 10 games with over 20 points – as impressive a start as anyone in the conference.

But that all ended Saturday, when Vukusic was held to a season-low five points on 1-of-14 shooting in Northwestern’s 58-47 loss to No. 7 Illinois at Welsh-Ryan Arena.

“James is a good defender,” Northwestern head coach Bill Carmody said. “He’s a lefty and he contested a lot of Vedran’s shots.”

While it was evident from the opening tip that Vukusic’s shot was a little off, the suffocating defense of Illinois big man James Augustine proved to be the real reason for the Northwestern star’s bad day.

Augustine played all 40 minutes in the game, most of which was spent on the hip of Vukusic. After the game, the visibly-exhausted Augustine didn’t say much, but Illini head coach Bruce Weber was quick to compliment the defensive work of his senior.

“James was all shook in the locker room because he didn’t make some layups and missed some free throws,” Weber said. “But man, he should feel so good about what he did on Vedran. He’s the leading scorer in the Big Ten, and James never let him get in rhythm. It was a great effort.”

BROWN FINDS HIS SHOT

After sub-par performances in Illinois’ first two Big Ten road games, senior point guard Dee Brown finally came alive outside of the Assembly Hall’s sea of orange Saturday; he scored a game-high 18 points and added eight assists against the Wildcats.

“I started (this game) the way I start all games,” Brown said. “I tried to get my assists up. I just had shots, that’s what it was.”

He later added, “My confidence is always high. No matter whether I go 1-for-30 or 1-for-10, you should hang with me every day.”

CARTER HAS BIG DAY

Weber expected Northwestern to use a small lineup against his team on Saturday. So when the Wildcats pulled their 6-foot-10-inch center Vince Scott early in the first half for 5-foot-9-inch guard Michael Jenkins, Weber knew what to do.

The Illini head coach inserted versatile forward Warren Carter for center Shaun Pruitt, and Carter responded with a career-high 12 rebounds in 22 minutes.

“It was a great rebounding effort by Warren,” Weber said. “We thought we could dominate the boards.”

Pruitt also set a career-high with 10 boards despite playing only 18 minutes.

RANDLE TAKES AN ELBOW

Forward Brian Randle missed most of the first half Saturday after he was inadvertently elbowed by Vukusic and began bleeding early in the game. Randle received five stitches to his forehead but returned to the game and will play against Minnesota on Saturday.

“I talked to our trainer Al and asked if I was walking straight because I thought I was, and he was like, ‘No, not really,'” Randle said. “I knew I had at least a bump on my head, but then I tilted my head and there was blood.”