Hype high for DeHeart

By Amber Greviskes

Ryler DeHeart could hardly ask for a better start to his senior tennis season.

The Illini are the No.4 team in the country. In his first outing at the Mexico Invitational, he went undefeated in both singles and doubles. DeHeart is also one of the top college tennis players today, placing seventh in the FILA collegiate tennis rankings, administered by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association. And, just last week, DeHeart earned the Big Ten’s first Player of the Week honors for the 2006 season.

“It’s always good to be recognized in the Big Ten,” DeHeart said. “Anytime you’re recognized for your performance, it is an exciting thing – you see the hard work paying off.”

DeHeart’s teammates and coaches are excited for the senior as well. Senior teammate Pramod Dabir said DeHeart exemplifies all of the qualities necessary for an athlete to excel at the highest level.

“Ryler has been playing very well and he had a good little run out in Mexico; so, he definitely deserves to be the Big Ten Player of the Week,” Dabir said. “He is also one of the top-ranked college kids in the country and also an upstanding person with great character. He demonstrates everything a Big Ten Player of the Week athlete should be.”

It is the third time in his career that DeHeart has earned the honor.

DeHeart, however, is a very different competitor now than when he was previously honored in 2004. He has increased his leadership role, becoming more vocal. He is also tweaking details, including improving his backhand return, in hopes that it will lead to a successful pro career that he plans to embark on in May. Last season he captured the top spot in the Illinois record books for the most singles wins in a season. He is just 11 wins shy of capturing the Illinois record for the most singles wins in a career.

“We think the world of Ryler. He does such a great job on the court and off the court and he’s extremely professional with his approach to everything,” said Illinois assistant coach Kent Kinnear. “Any kind of award like that I think he’s very deserving and we’re very proud of him.”

Although appreciative of the Big Ten honor, DeHeart is more excited about the future. Anticipation has built up while he waited for the tennis season to start. This year he captains a very different team than the Illini have had in the past.

“Our potential is kind of limitless, as far as what we can do,” DeHeart said. “We just have to put in the hard work and get it done.”