Hanna brings wealth of experience to Illinois

By Courtney Linehan

The Division of Intercollegiate Athletics announced Monday that Chris Hanna has been hired as Assistant Athletic Director for Sales and Marketing.

Hanna fills a void left open when Dave Johnson moved from the DIA to the College of Law this summer.

Hanna has more than 10 years of experience in the athletic marketing field. A native of Battle Creek, Mich., he has worked with the WNBA’s Detroit Shock, Arkansas State University, Oklahoma State University and Western Michigan University.

Hanna received a bachelor’s degree in management at Nazareth College. He earned an MBA from Western Michigan in 1994.

While at Arizona State, Hanna’s marketing work helped draw record football crowds and brought in an over 60 percent increase in football and women’s basketball ticket sales. In the same period, ASU’s men’s basketball ticket sales increased 50 percent.

At Oklahoma State, Hanna improved the Cowboys’ football single-game ticket sales by 71 percent over two years.

Beginning in 1995, Hanna rose through the ranks of the Western Michigan athletic department. When he left Kalamazoo in 2001, he was the Director of Marketing and had set four MAC football game attendance records. He also created the Broncos’ first official Web site.