Women heat up in Las Vegas

By Amber Greviskes

Illinois went 2-3 this weekend at the Louisville Slugger Desert Classic in Las Vegas.

Although it’s early in the season, the Illini are already being tested. Illinois opened up the tournament on Friday, playing the two teams that shared the Pac-10 title in 2005.

Despite losing their first two games to No. 12 Oregon State 15-7 and No. 6 California 6-4, the Illini rebounded well on Saturday.

The Illini swept their second day of competition, with wins over Utah State and Utah. Illinois went on a solid run during the sixth inning of the game against Utah State to pull away from its competition.

“Today was just a great effort both offensively and defensively,” Illinois head coach Terri Sullivan said in a press release. “A lot of different people are playing a role.”

Among the team’s leaders this weekend were Rachelle Coriddi and Jenna Hall. Coriddi had five hits on Saturday, where she put together a 4-for-4 effort against Utah. She is also 11-for-11 in stolen bases this season and has stolen bases 15 times without being caught, a streak dating back to April 15 of last year.

“Rachel is doing everything you hope a senior lead-off hitter would do,” Sullivan said. “Her bat has really exploded this year, making herself a real headache for the opponents.”

Hall was also impressive this weekend, hitting her first home run of the season against Utah State. She raised her season batting average to .464 after going 8-for-16 with three doubles, a home run and eight RBIs in Las Vegas.

On Sunday, however, the Illini’s fortune reversed when Illinois fell behind early against Portland State and never recovered.

The Vikings held onto their lead throughout the remainder of the game, and Illinois lost to Portland State 7-6.

Illini pitcher Claire DeVreese picked up two victories on Saturday. On Sunday, she struck out a season-high seven batters in six innings of relief pitching.

Portland State improved to 5-5 on the season. At the end of the tournament, the Illini’s record stood at 4-5.

Illinois plays again on Feb. 24 at the NFCA Lead-off Classic in Columbus, Ga. Among the 24 teams competing in the NFCA Lead-off Classic, 20 advanced to the NCAA tournament last season.

Five of the teams reached the Super Regional. Three advanced to the College World Series. Michigan, the defending national champion, will also be in attendance. Half of the teams competing in the tournament are currently ranked within the Top 25.