Team runs south to race in Indoor Championships

By Jonathan Leonard

Head coach Wayne Angel’s Illini travel to Fayetteville, Ark., this weekend to compete in the NCAA Indoor Championships. The men, who have performed well indoors this year, will have the chance to flex their muscles against the best in the NCAA.

This competition boasts the best athletes from around the nation, and Illinois will be represented by six athletes competing in six different events.

“We hope to compete strong this weekend and come away with six All-Americans and a top-20 national ranking,” Angel said.

Freshman Dominique Worsley will be competing for the Illini in the 200-meter dash. Worsley, who was named Big Ten freshman of the year, is seeded twelfth in the event with his time of 21.06. Worsely is coming off a first place finish in the 200 last weekend in South Bend, Ind., at the Alex Wilson Invite.

Senior Abe Jones also performed well in Indiana, qualifying for the NCAA championships with a personal best time of 46.60 in the 400-meter dash. The time ranks fourth on Illinois’ all-time indoor list.

“It was a good race for me,” Jones said, “I hope I can put up a good time this weekend at the NCAA’s. I feel very confident right now.”

Sophomore Nick Brown will compete in the triple jump and the long jump this weekend and hopes to build off of last weekend’s performance. He is seeded 16th in both events with a mark of 7.68 meters in the long jump and 15.73 meters in the triple jump. Last weekend Brown led the Illini in the field, finishing fifth in the triple jump and seventh overall in the long jump.

Senior Tramell Smith will compete in the 800-meter dash for the Illini. Earlier this year, Smith broke the Armory Track record in the 600-meter run at the Carle Health Alliance Classic with a personal-best time of 1:17.00, which also put him at second on the all-time best list. Smith, who is very optimistic about this weekend, is seeded ninth in the 800 this weekend with a time of 1:48.20.

“This is my last year to shine and I’m going to go out there and run as hard as I can,” Smith said.

The Illini hope to finish out the meet strong with the 4X400 relay team of Jones, Smith, Nathan Vadeboncoeur and Adrian Walker. The team is seeded ninth with a time of 3:07.41, which is the fastest time in Illinois history.

“It would be great to win the 4X400,” Jones said, “I know if we run to our potential we can do it.”

Head coach Wayne Angel said he would be satisfied no matter what the outcome this weekend is.

“We had a great indoor season this year, and anything we do at the national meet will just be icing on the cake,” Angel said. “I’m very proud of these guys.”